Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More important project to me

More important project to me

I am now puting my 355 build on a temporary hold so I can focus my efforts and budget on my project sport bike.

My buddy, Colin Chivers, and I were assembling a pretty slick kawasaki zx6 together. Colin, my fellow sport bike rider, passed on this last wednesday at the age of 21 :'(. Colin's 22nd birthday will be on October 14th and I plan on having the bike completed on my own by then to unvail at the local bike show in dedication to his family.

Colin was a student at MMI of Orlando, FL(Motorcycle Mechanics Institute) and his senior project was to build a complete bike. We chose to build one of my wrecked ZX6E's(if you see the before pictures you'll ask how I am still with us today).

I am now on my own with the build and I believe that since my old bike was dead, Colin is up there riding a wheelie through the gates of heaven on it!! I will post pictures of before,* during, and after as I can. I hope you will be impressed by the work. There will be over $20,000 worth of chrome plating done to it, have orange compound tires custom made from Europe to match the paint scheme, and plan on doing a very elaborate paint job with a memorial to Colin airbrushed into it. Six weeks of preparation time is not very much for a private individual, but I can and will pull it off.

With me only being 23 years old myself, this was a real eye opener. I'll keep you guys posted and thanks in advance for the support.

Bob Roward
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Re: More important project to me

Bob:

I am sorry to hear of your loss, my condolences to you and Colinís family. It is always tragic when we loose a close friend.

What happened to Colin?

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Dave,
    Thank you for your shared sorrows. Colin was in a dirt bike accident and punctured his lung. He recovered that, but was on several medications and appearently a couple of them did not mix well. His cause of death was blamed on medication complications, and died in his sleep wednesday night.

Bob

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Bob... And kudos for you for honoring him in this way...
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

Quote Originally Posted by superstang460
    Dave,
    Thank you for your shared sorrows. Colin was in a dirt bike accident and punctured his lung. He recovered that, but was on several medications and appearently a couple of them did not mix well. His cause of death was blamed on medication complications, and died in his sleep wednesday night.

Bob
    Bob:

I used to own a motorcycle shop in Columbus, Ohio over 25 years ago (Mud Sweat & Gears for those of you who lived in that area at the time). I was a factory sponsored cross country ISDT enduro rider for OSSA. I know how competitive he mute of been. I have been close too in my career, but lucky enough to make it through to today with only a few limps and aches.

Was he in competition or just riding around. In order to puncture a lung he must of broken some ribs in the process.

If this bothers you to discuss let me know, sometimes it may help to relive a few of the moments.

Dave

Colin's Father owned a very large construction/excavating company and he owned hundreds of pieces of big machinery. Colin lived on a 100 acre piece of land with access to bull dozers and backhoes and such. He had several 30 foot jumps and was extremely competitive. I have a suzuki RM 250 but Colin could blow me out of the water any day of the week on his Honda CR 125.
    We rode street bikes as well. I have two Kawasaki ninja ZX6E's and Colin had a honda CBR 954. I rode more competitive on the street by doing mile long wheelies and doing endo's.
    Colin wrecked in his own back yard. He landed with the handle bars sideways from doing a stunt while airborne on his dirt bike. The handle bar broke his floater ribs and landed him in the hospital for days.

He later recovered after operations, but was always short of breath and had to be careful not to exurt himself. After I totalled my street bike at about 90-100mph, we decided it would be in both of our best interests to chill out and build up my bike again for his school project. Colin just got his dirt bike back together again for the first time in two years. Last tuesday he took it for a spin. He was a little rusty, but we mowed some paths in his fields and said we would start riding again. That night he was glowing, and even said word for word "this is the happiest I have ever been in my life, this is great"

The next day I got a call at work, wednesday morning saying he was discovered in the morning by family. I took a half a day off and am not afraid to admit to you guys, I cried like a little girl.
    I also have to say, there is nothing heavier than carrying the casket of your friend you knew since grade school, again I cried.

I will be posting pictures of the bike when we started this project about a month ago. Basically all I have are the parts all dissasembled. Broken and bent pieces are being replaced and others will be polished, chromed, and custom painted.
    Thanks for the support.

Bob

Bob:

I know what you just said about the heaviest thing in the world is the casket of your friend. A very close friend of mine was killed in Viet-Nam about 3 months before I was deployed. His name is Chris Raines, 19 years old at the time. I cried like a baby as well and I have tears in my eyes as I write this on the forum. The feelings never go away. I remember being so choked up I could not speak. He was married to a beautify woman named Sharon. We never said a word to each other at the funeral, we didn't have to, we both knew what each other would say. We just hugged and cried like babies together. I still miss my old friend. and to this day, every time I go to Washington DC, I stop in for a visit with him. He is on the wall with 14 other people from our block in the neighborhood. I miss them all.

Dave

This is the project as Colin remembered it on August 24, 2004.

I've been welding the frame back up and sent the front end parts to Advance Custom Chrome already. I explained the situation and my time line and they said they will help me out. Normally the local chrome shop is on a six week wait to get aluminum triple plated.

damn it now your going to make me cry > stang hang in there and dont give up on that project!!! you finish it !! if you belive or not maybe just maybe your friend is right there by your side guiding you along with ths project.. dont give up..as long as he's in your heart his still alive!!!! remember that!!