Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VoIP phone

VoIP phone

Just a testament to my voice over Internet phone success.

I just converted our household phone, formally provided by SBC, to the new wave of IP phones using Voice over IP. Using our cable modem as the high speed connection to the Internet and a server I setup at work to interface with a PSTN switch, I can now get local calls in my area for free and a great rate on long distance calls.* It sure does beat paying the telephone company $45 - $100 a month.* I cut that bill down to next to nothing. On top of that, I get to keep my original number, a win-win for me!

If anyone is thinking about converting to VoIP, I highly recommend it.

Re: VoIP phone

I am glad that you brought this up DCOX. If any one is interested VOIP is only 29.99 a month plus tax which is $31.28 a month for unlimited local and long distance. The FCC can not add any charges because it is a world wide connection and can not be regulated. This is ultimately going to be the new way of communicating. Articles have been published in Fortune (July/Oct.), Business 2.0 (Oct.), and Forbes (April). Also AT&T spent 1.8 million on commercials during the olympics promoting their new VOIP product. I work with a company called Lightyear Alliance that distributes VOIP and offers very excellent commissions.

If any one is interested in the product send me a PM

Or if any one wants to capatilize on the opportunity and make some money on a full or part time basis call me @ 323.707.2770 cell

The best part is that the box carries the number. So, where ever the box goes and there is a broadband connection people can call you on one number and you could be any where in the world and still recieve the call at no additional charge.

I know ZERO about this system.. Can you keep your current number or numbers? Does it work on just a cat5 wire? Gerrard: you said you can take the box with you and plug into a any broadband plug and have your number. that is cool!
    What type of equipment is needed and whats the price tag for it all?

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

David

There are a lot of ways to do this.* *One way is to buy your own equipment and find a VoIP provider and terminate all your calls with them.* Another way is to sign up with a provider like Vonage.

If you are _really_ interested, I can fill you in on more specifics, but for your curiosity check out:

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....%20Portability

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....ce%20Providers

What we do here (we sell VoIP service to our customers)

We have 2 huge redundant Dell servers running a custom Linux OS with a software package called Asterisk.
    We interface those servers with several PRIs to a telephone switch to the telephone network. We run VoIP to the servers and it converts VoIP to TDM and terminates the call. VoIP can be establised with many different protocols, among those are MGCP , SIP, H323, IAX. There is also compression or no compression, G711, G723, G726, G729.

Yes, you can port over your number. (keep your existing number and area code.)

Quote Originally Posted by EEExotic
    I know ZERO about this system.. Can you keep your current number or numbers? Does it work on just a cat5 wire? Gerrard: you said you can take the box with you and plug into a any broadband plug and have your number. that is cool!
    What type of equipment is needed and whats the price tag for it all?

David

Lightyear Alliance has made VOIP simple and easy for customers to get connected.For the equipment purchase it is $49.99. And this is the plan and features offered. Includes unlimited local and long distance calling in U.S. & Canada for $29.99! Features include:
    Caller ID
    Call Waiting
    Three Way Calling
    Call Forwarding
    Call Return (*69)
    Caller ID Blocking (*67)
    Repeat Dialing
    International Call Blocking
    Enhanced Voicemail
    Advanced Voicemail Notification
    Find Me / Follow Me

Yes, the VOIP set-up connects to a CAT 5 WIRE. Here is a diagram of the equipment and the set up. Also another cool thing about this is if you plug in the broadband connection and then plug in your phone the service will work. With or with out your computer plugged in. You can take the box to a hotel in Germany connect it to there broadband connenction in the hotel room and call the USA and the call is still a US call.

I think I'm understanding this. a few more questions if I could. Do I need to run "anything" threw my computer? I use a MAC so I have to ask. Dcox: You said it will work on a regular Cat5 phone line. Do I have to use a broadband/DSL service of any kind. believe it or not, I'm one of the 8 people in the world still using dial up internet service. In the process of getting my DSL hooked up. Is there anything that would make the service crash, power outage? other than that if I'm forgetting to ask something please fill me in. thanks guy!!

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

At this point, VoIP requires an RTP stream of data for voice, what that means basically is that you need a high speed internet connection to flow this two-way stream. If you don't have a fast connection, you will get choppy sounds, echos, missed words, etc. G729 is a very good compression codec, but even with G729 you will not be happy with VoIP over a regular phone line. The point of VoIP is to eliminate a phone line altogether.