Thread: japan vehicle life expectency ?

japan vehicle life expectency ?

Hey guy's has anyone heard that in Japan cars can have no more than 35000 miles? My brother in law says that there is such a law in Japan that you can not drive any car that has more than 35000 miles on the odometer.I have tryed to get info on this but can not seem to find anything on this so called law.He also said that it has to do with emmissions.I don't know what to believe with this guy.Always something out of this world with him. :-\
    1BadF40 And now runnin with the Devil

Re: japan vehicle life expectency ?

As crazy as it may sound.. I did hear the same thing a few years back, I don't know how true it is but it was 35,000 miles I heard too. so it makes you wonder.

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

i seriously doubt this as there would be little to support such an idea. in big cities like tokyo cars are not a good mode of transportation because traffic is insanely clogged up with 2 million cars going in and out of tokyo each day 35k miles in those terms would be many years for inner city residents.
    as for the poor farming communities in the mountains and such, they couldnt affoard to simply renew every x years...
    besides i just watched a show where they talked to a monk that drives a 1920s Bugatti there. if that thing isnt 35k miles, then i dont know what is :P
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Well as bizzar as this law maybe I just talked to someone else That by the way has no proof to support his claim* : but claims to know for a fact that there is a law in Japan like this he said it is to discourage people from owning cars because of traffic and parking.He also claims that it cost 5 thousand dollors a year to registar your car.I It kinda makes sense the way it was explained to me but I can not find anything on the web to support these claims.Could be one of those Urban* myths.
    1BadF40 And now runnin with the Devil

this law is true but i don't know the full story, i think it's a bit of all what has been said. here in the uk we have a huge grey market for jap cars that have been affected by this law,as soon as they go past there dates for the cars they sell them to exporters and ship them to the uk as we are right-hand drive they suit us. they are all top spec cars with everything loaded on them, subarus, evo's , mr2, nsx's all cheap ,and i mean cheap!!that suits the 355/mr2 market as you can get a twin turbo full electrics ,air con,top spec with 30k millage for under 6000 or even less

if that is true then why are there some places in japan where you can buy a car with over 35000 miles in it?? i just did a search and saw you can buy a 2001 nissan skyline with 59000km which estimates about 35400 miles give or take a few miles. so i dont think this law would be for every one i japan maybe in certain areas.
    I dont wanna grow up i&#039;m a Toys R Us kid

if you look at all the jap import cars "(like i do) you will notice a trend....most cars only have 35000-40000 miles on them.....at most. and yes im talking about like 1989 GTRs and such,with around 40k miles being sold constantly. i think the law exists because you never see cars with 60k + miles being sold

from what i read, theres no law on mileage but rather on smog. smog laws in japan are hell for any car really, and that is the reason why RX7s and most fun to drive vehicles are sold with low miles for cheap, since they cant be legally driven. car taxes are horrible in japan, and parking is just about non-existant. i doubt they would need laws like mileage restrictions to discourage older cars being driven.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com