Thread: Lap top question

Lap top question

My father came over for a Christmas morning breakfast. He played on my computer for awhile. He ended up looking on Ebay at laptops and asked my to put in a bid. We didn't win it, so I told him I would start looking for one for him. I am just ok with computers, infact when I bought mine I went to a friends mom "old friend" and told her to build me one. she no longer is around so I am asking you guys, where is a good deal? I just need it to be simple, Windows and web ready?

By the way, thanks alot for any help you can provide!
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Re: Lap top question

A lot of times, big companies switch out their old computers for new ones and put the old ones on sale to the public. We have Boeing up here that is doing that... I think. Might not hurt to check that option. I think Ebay had some great bidding prices for general laptops... nothing too fancy. If you don't need the extra RAM, bigger hard drive, graphics accelerator and such... I'd probably just look for one there. Some of them even offer Warrantees too if you are interested in those. I think for most people that are just wanting internet computers, almost any that are out there to buy new will be good enough. I even have 2 really old Dell laptops... one a Pentium I (233MHz) and the other a Pentium II(366?). Both work great for internet and for Photoshop and pretty much anything else I need. No Graphics card for gaming, but I don't game on those. Windows 98SE or ME are the operating systems I'd recommend if you are going to get one with lower RAM. XP is sometimes a dog slow program if RAM is only around 128. I'm not an expert at them or anthing, but I know a bit about them and what is needed for my needs. Let me know if you have any specific questions or if you want to know if a deal is good or not.

If it's new or refurbished your looking for,,,,,,Then you really can't beat the reputation or the service and warranties of Dell. Here are a couple of sites to bookmark that do all the "deal" searching for you.* *
    http://www.slcentral.com/c/deals/
    http://www.techdeals.net/
    http://dealnews.com/view.html?d=7
    8)

Thank you very much guys, I just didn't feel confortable buying Laptops off of Ebay with no warranty! But then again a $200 laptop is a hard deal to beat when it has Windows already installed on it.
    Bobby
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Just remember if you buy a laptop or any computer off ebay to check and see what programs they have installed and if there is anything wrong. would kind of suck if you got a computer and found out the hard drive or something was messed up cause laptops are a lot harder to get repaired and a lil more expensive.
    I dont wanna grow up i&#039;m a Toys R Us kid

If you keep your eye out at the national retail stores then you can get a god deal there. I just picked me up a Toshiba M35X for around $600 in a one day sale the Comp USA was having. It is Centrino based so the battery last for forever. This way you have a laptop that you have a warrenty and also you do not have to worry about the thing breaking in just a few weeks. Also you can then get an extened warrenty for about half the price as the ones the retail outlets charge you and the manufactors warrenty normally will cover everything. When the retail outlet stores ask you if you want an extended warrenty tell them no unless they can give it to you for half price because you can get it from "computer manafactor" for just under half of what you guys are charging. Well I wish you the best of luck!!!