Thread: Remember the good old days of fender skirts?

Remember the good old days of fender skirts?

I got this from my cousin Ruth in Pittsburgh, PA.

She was thinking about "fender skirts" and it started her thinking about
    other words that quietly disappeared from our language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars,
    my mind naturally went that direction first. Kids will probably have to
    find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to them.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare
    tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake"
    became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator
    the "foot feed."

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could
    ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore: "store-bought."
    Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging
    material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means
    almost nothing. Now we take the term "worldwide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes.
    In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall
    carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors.
    Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to
    imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little
    too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits
    and "being in a family way" or simply "expecting."

It's hard to recall that this word "divorce" was once said in a whisper. And no one
    is called a "divorcee" anymore. Come to think of it, "confirmed bachelors" and "career girls" are long gone, too.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the
    other day: "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss: "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was
    it replaced with? "Coffeemaker." How dull! Mr. Coffee, I blame you for that.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and
    now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the
    1963 Admiral Space Command TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought: Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains
    of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers
    threatening their kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves
    me most is "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone
    to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Someone forwarded this to me. I thought some of us of a "certain age" would remember
    most of these.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Re: Remember the good old days of fender skirts?

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    I got this from my cousin Ruth in Pittsburgh, PA.

She was thinking about "fender skirts" and it started her thinking about
    other words that quietly disappeared from our language with hardly a notice.
    Dave,
    Do not take this the wrong way, but I am less than half of your age and I still remember most of these phrases.

Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars,
    my mind naturally went that direction first. Kids will probably have to
    find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to them.
    sadly enough, I still see some "curb feelers" on the east side of town and I have a "steering knob" on my front loader and dump truck

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare
    tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.
    My brother and I were just talking about that last week how my grandfathers car had a filler panel about 18" long between the decklid and the chrome bumper so the fiberglass spare cover could be proudly displayed in between.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake"
    became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."
    I still refer to them as an "E-brake" which is following todays shorthand for everything like when you get some KFC and watch a DVD.

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator
    the "foot feed."
    I dont recall that but when I was little my father had a big chrome foot print for a gas pedal.

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could
    ride the "running board" up to the house?
    I used to ride in the bed of dad's Ford Highboy with the newspaper and the garbage cans though.

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore: "store-bought."
    Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging
    material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.
    "Store-bought" comes up quite a bit at holiday dinners, but mostly as a cheap shot refering to my aunt Nancy's laziness rather than baking from scratch.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means
    almost nothing. Now we take the term "worldwide" for granted. This floors me.
    Yeah, world wide is not too exciting any more. Heck, I can ship something "world-wide" in 3 days for $20 now.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes.
    In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall
    carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors.
    Go figure.
    I ripped up all of the carpeting in my house a year or so ago to replace it but found nice finished hardwood underneath. Now there is no carpeting at all in our house, not even throw rugs.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to
    imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little
    too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits
    and "being in a family way" or simply "expecting."
    Now you accidentally "knock-up" your girlfriend and life only changes a little. It is so commonplace now that nobody even looks twice. I've heard of stories how the single mothers were driven to the outskirts of town many years ago.

It's hard to recall that this word "divorce" was once said in a whisper. And no one
    is called a "divorcee" anymore. Come to think of it, "confirmed bachelors" and "career girls" are long gone, too.
    Now, the majority of marriages end in divorce(54%) and the words "Marriage" or "commitment" are seen less, even if you "knock-up" your girlfriend.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.
    I must be to young for that one.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the
    other day: "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!
    "Rat Fink" makes me think of crazy one of a kind acid-induced automotive designs.

Here's a word I miss: "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was
    it replaced with? "Coffeemaker." How dull! Mr. Coffee, I blame you for that.
    That one is new to me too.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and
    now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the
    1963 Admiral Space Command TV, now with "SpectraVision!"
    What about "Wonka-vision"?

Food for thought: Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains
    of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers
    threatening their kids with castor oil anymore.
    Although I have never had the pleasure, I was threatened with a table spoon of the stuff when I was young.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves
    me most is "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone
    to supper. Discuss fender skirts.
    Sadly, I have not had "supper" with the family since my father passed away in 1988 when I was eight years old.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Re: Remember the good old days of fender skirts?

I guess that I do not have the bandwidth for this.