Thread: What's the best place to get Fiberglass Supplies? Links? Thanks all

What's the best place to get Fiberglass Supplies? Links? Thanks all

Alright all you Mad Mechanics out there with a select savy about all things fiberglass. Can you all tell me what's the best place to get Fiberglass Supplies (resin, mat, gel coat, PVC, spike roller, etc.). I know ebay has some, but is that the best price wise? Any links would be helpful. Also, can anyone fully explain when to use wax in the resin. Thanks all, Peace!

If you don’t have an actual fiberglass supply in your area try looking for marine supply. Ebay can be tricky when it comes to Resin and Fiberglass. You don’t really know what you are getting and how long the resin has been sitting on the shelf. I would suggest having your products shipped by a popular supply house to be assured you are getting fresh products.

If your totally new to fiberglass techniques. You may want to pick up a book on the subject to get a little background. You Tube had some good videos (some bad) as well.

Fiberglassing is not difficult but just like anything else, the more you do it the better you get at it.

As far as using wax in resin:
    Wax is used in the final coat of polyester resin. During the curing process the wax will flow to the top of the resin sealing off the oxygen in the air. This will give your resin a hard finish. Resin may be purchased with or without wax. The wax may also be purchased separately and added to the resin later. Although, If there is enough heat during the curing process wax is not necessary. The drawbacks of using wax is that is must be completely removed if you are planning to apply paint by sanding or washing it off. I have a bottle but seldom ever use it.

Where abouts are you ????

If your in the UK I recommend ECF ( East Coast Fibreglass ), I use them for all my GRP supplies ( a lot ).... They are up North but deliver anywhere in the UK next day :-) Buy fibreglass and composites supplies online UK - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies

Hope this helps

I'm in USA, Texas. Thanks guys! About how many gallons of resin for a full exterior lambo body kit? How many yards of 50in rolls (about 3 layers?)?

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jah315 View Post
    I'm in USA, Texas. Thanks guys! About how many gallons of resin for a full exterior lambo body kit? How many yards of 50in rolls (about 3 layers?)?
    My gus use 12-15 gallons ,this depends on size ,lenght @3-4 layers
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Yea, IKR is right. About 15 gal of resin for the exterior body and around 150 - 200 pounds of fiberglass. Depending how thick you make it.

I have always had good luck with buying from Fiberglass Supply company. in bingen Washington 509-493-3464
    they have an online store with picture and good descriptions goto : fiberglasssupply.com Depending on how long you plan to take to make these molds and if you will be making parts out of the mold anytime soon there after, It may be more cost effective to buy a 55 gallon drum of resin instead og buying 5 gal. pails. I used about 25 gallons to make molds from a car recentley and made them about 3/8" thick. If you buy 5 - 5 gallon pails at over $200. PER PAIL YOU have about $1000.00 in resin alone, For about that same price, you can buy a 55 gal drum , But keep in mind that resin has a shelf life, you will want to keep it cool and sealed when not in use. Or If you have someone that would split the cost with you , you will be ahead of the game. There are companies that sell fiberglass resin and materials that deal with business's but sometimes you have to register with them and have a tax certificate and resale cert, you might check about them also. Compositeone has several locations throughout the US that may be able to help you. PM me if you need anything else or suggestions.
    Last edited by C2R-design; 03-19-2013 at 09:21 PM.