Thread: Fiberglass question

Fiberglass question

First off sorry if this is a dumb question but here it goes. approx how much $ "I am in the US." to make the pannels for a whole car?" lets say I already had the molds." Also would It be better for hand laid or spray glass? Keep in mind I have a 355 spyder replica and a good number of performance cars and/or racecars, under my belt so I'm not just someone wasting time. I just have not pulled a body from a mold before.

And just for conversation sake it would have a tube chassie, mid engined "longitudinal" ,and a wheelbase of 100.98 in.

But I need to research more before I purchase this company that produces the things now. I want to see if they lied about how much the production cost is.
    If you can drive it home your not racing it hard enough<br />Toys,06 Mustang GT conv. 90 Mustang GT, 84 Mustang GT dragcar, 80 Thunderbird, 87 Fiero, 85 Fiero

Re: Fiberglass question

There is a place that I use to make my larger moulds. They also have the moulds for the G28's (standard and LP640), and the guy told me that to make a body from the moulds he charges $6900. This is the whole body, hood, hatch, inner and outer door skins, and all the interior pieces. I would think if he were to do just the body, it would be more like $5900. He does charge for the labor to do it, and I dont know how much of that price is the labor cost.
    Without talent experience is worthless

It depends , if its just for the body panels it should be less , if for a body and parts ,thats still a little high ;D

Well I was planning on doing it all in house so there would be no labor cost just materials. I have the regular body shop tools from restorations and building the 355, and would be willing to buy whatever other tools are needed to create bodys and other parts as needed. so what do you guys think spray or hand laid? and cost between the two. I know I would need to buy a gun for the spray kind but that is a separate expense so I dont want that included in the price. come on guys I know some one here has this all priced out.
    If you can drive it home your not racing it hard enough<br />Toys,06 Mustang GT conv. 90 Mustang GT, 84 Mustang GT dragcar, 80 Thunderbird, 87 Fiero, 85 Fiero

Well I have laid up parts by hand and to do a body right I used about 70 gal. of resin. and about 150 yards of fiberglass. The resin cost about $750 for a 55 gal drum. The fiberglass can sometimes be found inexpensive on ebay. If not the web pages I have seen run $2-5 per yard.