Thread: Fiberglass work and reshaping- suggestions,methods, tips, & techniques needed

Fiberglass work and reshaping- suggestions,methods, tips, & techniques needed

OK,
    I looked and looked about this forum and searched around for months but not much information is given in this area and if so, only bits here and there. I and I'm sure other members would like to know from those that have already "done it". For example, let's say I have a fiberglass part that needs reshaping as some of the details aren't quite right, what materials would best be suited for changing this detail. It obviously needs to be strong so it doesn't crack. I've heard from a few here( thank you) through private messages, but truly, we are all building these replicas and could use the benefits of knowledge and tips and techniques that have already been applied and work great. Myself, I've worked with fiberglass for making model boats of around 4 to eight foot. But truthfully, I'm not sure the methods I use are quite the same for building a car to drive down the road, am I wrong? So with this in mind, I'm asksing for anyone with experience with building these bodies and making modifications to please help out and tell us what works best for doing certain things, modifying fiberglass panels to accurize them, filling, skim coating , different fillers that work for longevity, and anything that might help. Perhaps what we really need here is a "Sticky" or "Pinned" topic on the subject, as every single car replica in this forum will require it. Anyway, I hope the experts will be willing to Chime in here and "help out" , perhaps offering a series of "how to'" on the subject of body work for fiberglass replicas. I for one, am striving to make my car replica as accurate as I can and I know many others building their cars could benefit from having this information too.
    Sincerely,
    William

Re: Fiberglass work and reshaping- suggestions,methods, tips, & techniques needed

William speaking strictly to strength, a wise friend of mine told me that a pro boat builder ask him a question once that changed his mind on glass and it's strength for use in cars. "Don't you think the forces applied to a boat traveling at 50-70 mph are much greater than those on a car traveling that or faster? Whether a boat or a car, if you hit anything, it isn't going to matter much!"

I would say you probably have the skills needed, and good enough knowledge of the material used to do the job. Especially if you are building 8ft model boats. There are tons of web sites on the different types of glass materials and how to use them.

Not necessarily related, but the best site I have found on how to make molds is this one! Maybe it will help you.

http://www.hotrodder.com/32Blowpar/page10.html

Mike

Re: Fiberglass work and reshaping- suggestions,methods, tips, & techniques needed

Hi there Mike,
    I should have been a little more specific in my model boats experiences. one they are built for static display and two they are the submersible kind of boat... sorry about that.
    What's the general opinion of Fiberglass flocking for building parts or fixing gaps?
    William

William sounds like you build sub displays! ;D

The flocking is one material you can use, but there are many others. Micro spheres can also be use in a non strength use, and assuming you keep it thin. I am not really the guy to be advising you. Bartman, IKR, and MM to name a few. I am sure there are several others much more qualified.

Mike

One of the best tapes out there was from a a company that was called ztherapy. It is still available on their website.It is called fiberglass installation and repair. They also have a good painting video(vhs). I give that tape credit with the knowledge I learned in fiberglassing. Alot of my custom work I have done, was learned from that tape.
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

There's nothing tricky about working with fiberglass. You just match the construction of whats there, with a different shape. Most re-shaping that needs to be done on these kits is minor. Sand the questionable area to the shape you want. If the remaining glass is thin, reinforce from behind with more matting and resin. If you need to build something out, and its less than 1/4", use bondo or equivalent filler. If it needs to be more, add a few layers or mat and resin to the area, and then a skim coat of bondo over it. Its hard to give advice on this topic without knowing exactly what you are trying to achieve, or what the problem is. Some methods work great on some fixes, but would not be an advisable process on others.
    Without talent experience is worthless