Thread: Turbo Caddy 4.9 Automatic

Turbo Caddy 4.9 Automatic

I have decided to look into a turbocharged 4.9 Caddy V8 with an automatic.

Has anyone actually completed one on this site. I have seen a few on Pennock's Forum but nothing up close and personal that I can go look at in my area. My NA 3800 V6 is running fine with the Fiero 5 speed but as I age a little bit more I think an automatis is in order. I will have plenty of stuff for sale and trade if your interested.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Re: Turbo Caddy 4.9 Automatic

I've got a 4.9 Caddy with Automatic - it's not turbocharged though. Fairly straightforward swap; hardest part is the wiring, which I did very little of. I'm actually looking to sell the car if interested, otherwise of course I'll give you any advice I can give, though most of what I know I learned from FieroAddiction.com, and RockCrawl's site, which I've long since lost the link to.

If you're just looking to go automatic, I'd consider just swapping the trans (if it aint broke, don't fix it, right?). Here's some info:
    http://www.fieroaddiction.com/4T60a.html

The 4T60 came bolted to a lot of 3800's stock. If you know what year engine you've got, you could probably just get the auto trans that went with that year, bolt it up to your 3800 and only need to swap the computer out.
    Of course, if you're going automatic, you'll need a radiator with trans coolant lines, or some sort of transmission oil cooler. You'll also need to bypass/modify/create neutral start switch and the clutch pedal switch.

Thank you for the link on the automatic. I am all set up with trans coolers etc. It looks like I could just plop it onto my cradle. My engine is 1998 Buick series II that I purchased from the plant in Flint, Michigan when it was new. I think the low end torque of the 4.9 would be fantastic. I also noticed on the web link you sent that the 4.9 gets pretty good mileage. I have always wanted to do this swap with a turbocharger. It should be fun!..

Dave

Here's a vid of rokcrawls 4.9 turbo fiero in the 1/4 mile. Looks pretty solid.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=2480054
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

A V8 swap AND forced induction and it runs 12.70s and only traps 113mph? That setup can't be making much more (if any) than 300whp. Granted that's a pretty stout and fun street car, but it would seem that could be far more easily and less expensively accomplished with the 3800SC swap. I guess I'm a bit jaded coming from the DSM/EVO community where 12s are a boost controller and boost gauge away on an otherwise stock car for a good driver, and street cars run in the 10s and 9s on street tires. That seems awfully slow to me for the money and time investment considered. Sure sounds bad though, a V8 exhaust note and BOV discharge between shifts is a sweet combo!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariFan
    Here's a vid of rokcrawls 4.9 turbo fiero in the 1/4 mile. Looks pretty solid.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=2480054
    that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
    A V8 swap AND forced induction and it runs 12.70s and only traps 113mph? That setup can't be making much more (if any) than 300whp. Granted that's a pretty stout and fun street car, but it would seem that could be far more easily and less expensively accomplished with the 3800SC swap. I guess I'm a bit jaded coming from the DSM/EVO community where 12s are a boost controller and boost gauge away on an otherwise stock car for a good driver, and street cars run in the 10s and 9s on street tires. That seems awfully slow to me for the money and time investment considered.
    Probably wouldn't cost half of a dsm/evo, plus it's not rice! ;D
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

I wonder what he is doing for boost? I am thinking of using 10lbs.