Thread: Splash Shields, Fender Liners. Lets make this easy.

Splash Shields, Fender Liners. Lets make this easy.

Title says it all. What have you done for true fender liners/splash guards for your cars? I have used sheets of butyl rubber and then Chrysler removable fasteners on the lip of the Fiberglass. Not happy with that business. I know IKR bought some Fiberglass ones for a Diablo or something like that. Has to be exact to fit multiple different kits, with different wheel well openings so not gonna fit everything.
    I would say the biggest dead giveaway with a replica car is looking in the fender and seeing wires (I loom all mine), brackets, maybe a glassed-in structure, and that tells you right there. No matter how much your interior, stance, body and paint looks, if you can sight your eye from the rear through the front bumper and see daylight on the other side, looks like crap. I have a 90's Chevy truck and there is some thing that covers the front shocks and bridges the gap between the metal fender liner. Looks like an asphalt/ rubber stuff, and 3/32 thick. I have seen some more of this stuff on your stock Fiero fender liner in the front wheel well, and is stapled to the plastic liner. So, you can probably staple, fasten, and with an upholstery machine sew up a fender liner. Just get a sheet, cut some reliefs in the liner and stitch it together. Then on where it attaches to the frame and the fiberglass fender lip, use the pull-type removable fasteners for a nice, clean look.
    I remember maybe 6 years ago there was a thread on here where someone was using plastic trash cans. Not gonna do that, but seems like you could even put aluminum channel formers on the back of the rubber material to make it conform if you have some big tire wheel package, and you'd probably want to, keep it in place and from sagging. Whatcha' think, and anyone know where I can get sheets of this stuff?

Re: Splash Shields, Fender Liners. Lets make this easy.

I have seen guys take the inner sections of the Fiero Splash guards/fenrder inner liners and cut them at the highest points more or less in the centre and then put rubber out to the, usually larger, wheel well lips. I heard one member, can't remember who off hand, used the black rubber garbage cans and cut strips out of them for the outer sections and it worked very well.

I was thinking about doing pretty much the same thing but with some 1/16" or 3/32" thick pvc or abs sheets, whatever heats and bends better and then heat it up and shaping it to the outer wheel well lip shape and then to the fiero inner piece. Using the pvc or abs , whatever works, glue on the new and old sections should seal them off pretty nicely and then use some rivets as well to make sure the pieces stay together.

I also saw on Pennock's Fiero forum a fellow took the Fiero fender wells and spilt them and widened them to the new width and then used these as a buck to fiberglass over top of. Pulled the extended Fiero shields out of the fiberglass and the new wider shields bolted right up to the stock Fiero holes and out to the new wider fender lps. He said he was going to need rubber undercoating to spray on them though as it sounded like someone was throwing rocks at the car as he drove due to rocks and stuff coming off the rotating tires and hitting the fiberglass. He said it was pretty loud.

My input anyway.
    Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

i used a thin plastic sheet from home depot comes in 4x8" sections and then sprayed it down with a black truck liner, which gave it the right look and deadend sound of rocks hitting it

1/4" Sentra (ABS) sheeting is best. Its durable, easy to work with, and has good sound deadening properties. Its already black, and like GMG said, just spray some truckbed liner or wheel well spray on it once its installed and it will look OEM.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Thanks for all that posted, but what I understand is that everyone that has replica cars and didn't reply don't use them? I have used rubber like I said, and I find it silly to find out that don and murci me are the only ones that have splash guards that fit and work with wheel travel/ clearance effectively? Hmmm.

Wheel well liners are alot easier than most people think. Like I said, I suggest you go with the Sentra. Before you cut it though, do the wheel well in cardboard first. You can cut and tape and add where ever you need to get a good pattern. If you make the pattern out of several pieces of cardboard, use it to make a second pattern out of one solid piece of cardboard. Put that in place and check the fit. If you're happy with it, use it as a guide to cut the Sentra. Save the pattern and see if it works on the other side of the car, and add or subtract to it to make it fit. Glass short little "L" brackets to the backside of the fender, all around the wheel opening. Mount them far enough back to allow the wheel the most clearance, especially on the fronts. Use the snap in type connectors to attach the liner to the brackets. Done
    Without talent experience is worthless

Murci-Me, you are the man for suggesting this to me. You have to agree, a replica car looks only as good as it is. I don't care if your body lines are perfect, a quarter and a dime I make mine. Paint glossy and wave free. Not gonna look good until you have spash guards. What makes the sentra plastic work well? Do you use the front sentra liners and rear? All years the same? Trimming necessary and then bridging like the master Don said? Thanks for the help again always gonna return the favor sometime as you know. Silly IKR didn't chime in here as he builds cars and has had experience with this.