Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: Jntramey's Amazing AD355 berlinetta build

Pm was sent
    -Glenn

"One day I had a bit of an argument with my friend Enzo Ferrari, who reckoned I wasnít able to drive a Ferrari, only tractors. Thatís when I got the idea into my head and told myself Ė Iíll make the cars myself from now on!" - Ferruccio Lamborghini

Got my driver's side engine lid hinge sorted today. Designed the bracket, fabricated it, welded it, and fitted it. WHEW! That was a lot more difficult than I originally expected. The challenge: Use Lebaron convertible trunk hinges. The details: From the original Fiero engine lid mounting point, the new hinge must move closer towards the rear of the car about 2", up about 1.75" and inboard about 5". It needs to be sturdy enough to support the twisting and opposing force of the engine lid throughout it's range of motion and clear the intake and other engine parts. This is what I came up with and it works fine. It's made from 1/8" plate and 1" square tubing.

The gap between the top of the new hinge (light green in the pics) and the fiberglass lip above it where the rear window sits was necessary to accommodate the metal bars that will be on the underside of the engine lid. I ended up using 3/4" x 1.5" rectangular tubing. The bars bolt to the hinge with the lid secured to the top of the bars. The gap lets the engine lid sit flush with the top of the body where it should. If there was no gap, or less of a gap, the engine lid would sit too high and appear to be sitting on top of the car body.

The passenger side hinge is going to be a bigger challenge. The hinge has to fit between the intake and the coolant hose, and just in front of where the oil dipstick raises up. The difficult part will be figuring out how to keep the dip stick accessible.

Is it possible to use a different dipstick that is more out of the way then the original one?
    -Glenn

"One day I had a bit of an argument with my friend Enzo Ferrari, who reckoned I wasnít able to drive a Ferrari, only tractors. Thatís when I got the idea into my head and told myself Ė Iíll make the cars myself from now on!" - Ferruccio Lamborghini

That's a good idea. I wonder if they make a longer one that I could position further away?

WHOA! A thread revived from the dead! Hey buddy, hows it going with you. Thought you gave up. Nice to see you back. I too have gotten back into doing more with the car. Sold my F355 spider last year, and am putting a new interior in the 512TR. Again, nice to see you picking this back up again.

More than one way to skin a cat. (But who wants to skin cats!?!?). OEM 355 door scoop fitted to JW AD355 door skins. I'm just going to trim a little off the trailing edge of the door so it meets up with the kit door. I was going to go the route Dave did with funnywheels but, that's way more effort than I think I'm willing to expend at this stage of the build. I would have had to figure out how to trim over an inch off the bottom of the metal door, then cut off the same amount on the rear quarter panel and front fender to raise them up to the new height of the door bottom ( which would've been much higher than the rubber seal on the inside of the bottom of the door, creating a door sill fitment issue also.)