Thread: best way to attach fiberglass

best way to attach fiberglass

looking for the best way to attach fiberglass to main boxster chassis? pictures and discriptin will help, thanks

Re: best way to attach fiberglass

any body?

Windshield Urethane.
    Make a steel framework that fits closely to the fiberglass shape. Weld the steel to the chassis.
    Then use the urethane. It is about $30.00 a tube and I used 6 for the Diablo body.
    The best part is that it stays flexible and sticks like crazy.
    Don't let it get on your skin, it will take about a week for it to come off.

Quote Originally Posted by limarxy
    looking for the best way to attach fiberglass to main boxster chassis? pictures and discriptin will help, thanks
    You can make different sized brackets made from 1/2 electrical conduit. flatten each end with a vice or bash it down with a solid piece of steel and a hammer. use a vice to bend the ends the way you need it to be. Drill a hole or 2 at each end for mounting. Mount it to your fiberglass panel flanges using rubber washers and bolt it securely to your chassis. Angle iron or flat stock will also work. I like to use conduit where I can. It's very cheep, light weight, Galvanized, easy to work with and very strong.

thank you jdinner , i appretiate it, how much steel do i need to use? and what thick ness, i dont want to add more weight thanks

thanks MacGyver , ill go do couple of test and evaluate the cost and reliability , it just happens that i saw somw replicas that when they drive and hit a bump, the whole body shakes like a whale, thanks guys

I used 16 gauge 3/4" X 3/4" square tubing to make the framework. It is very cheap, can be formed nicely and weldable.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner
    Windshield Urethane.
    Make a steel framework that fits closely to the fiberglass shape. Weld the steel to the chassis.
    Then use the urethane. It is about $30.00 a tube and I used 6 for the Diablo body.
    The best part is that it stays flexible and sticks like crazy.
    Don't let it get on your skin, it will take about a week for it to come off.
    That is a great idea I had never thought of. But when you say stays flexible how much give are we talking about? Again thanks for the tip.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Every fiberglass panel and every kit is a little different as far as how it will need to be mounted to the chassis. Putting framework behind it would certainly be a good idea especially if the fiberglass is thin and you have large flat panels. You sure don't want things shaking around driving down a bumpy road. On my build the panels have lots of curves and are fairly heavy panels. I will be using the original mounting points that the OEM car uses. Plus adding a few more by glassing in some steel tabs. The more mounting points the better!