Thread: chassis questions

chassis questions

ok first question i have is about stretching a MR2 i understand the whole process on Stretching the question is will it brake going down the road cuz that could really suck, has anyone had a problem in any of there chassis braking im just wondering and would like to know how strong they are after you slice it and weld it back.

Re: chassis questions

problem with stretching an mr2 is that its a unibody no frame for supports. it's strength lies in the bends and curves of the sheet metal joint together with other bends to make it strong as a singel frame yet light. So when stretching a unibody you have to do major supports under the car and inside the cabin or anywhere you make the cuts. If your not good at welding sheet metal, than you will burn through the chassis, some areas are thin and some are thicker metal. same thing as stretching a porsche, also depends at what point of the car you are stretching it at.

I understand that, but my question is.. what can the chassi handle as far as structural strength, and has it ever broke on somone after welding it back together?

Whether it breaks will depend on the skill of the builder. He will have to know where to place the support structures and be a good enough welder with the proper equipment to do the job. If some one does this who does not have the proper skills it could well break, but I have not heard of that happening.