Thread: Stretching the damn thing

Stretching the damn thing

How hard is it to actually get the fiero stretched for a Mercy build? Its always sounded dificult to me. And if its hard to do yourself, how much do you have to pay to get it done?

Re: Stretching the damn thing

A murci build is a pretty involvved process where you have to cut the full roof off as well as stretch it by 11"? so it would be hard to explain all the items that need doing. I know you have to cut away a lot of the front areas as well and reinforce from all the threads I have seen so doing it yourself if you are a first timer may be an interesting challenge.

Inland Exotics out in California for sure and Cliffscustoms, I think further East, do frames for the Murcis but you can call them to get exact info from them as I am not 100% sure.

Good luck with the build and remember, doing a proper frame is worth whatever these guys may quote you as your life will depend on it. Don't go into sticker shock if you think they are expensive as quality costs and your life is worth it. Also, the frame is a fairly small cost in the overall cost of what you will spend to finish the kit but a very important piece.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Great read on doing the stretch..

http://www.bandbcustoms.com/diabolic/howto.html

Stretching is a pain in the ass. Ill leave it at that. :

i charge the same price to stretch a chassis as i do for a bare tube chassis. because it is such a pain in the ass. simply put i dont want the things in my shop. i think it takes less work to complete a tube chassis.

Never stretched a frame however my next build will be on a tube chassis just so I don't have to explain to everyone that it's a Lamboiero. ;D Everyone is blown away when they see the car until they see the Fiero engine (has to go) and I explain to them how it's actually a 20 year old Pontiac underneath (you can just see the drop in their level of excitement).

In all seriousness, by time you make all the mod's required to get everything bolted on the way you want it, in my opinion you might have been better off starting with a tube chassis and drop the weight and end up with a more polished look. You also need to worry about any Fiero rust of previous collision damage that might be missed.

Most guys don't build tube based kits with Fiero engines but many Fiero kits end up with other engines. My point is that a tube frame will need an engine and this is the prime time to design and build the frame around the engine you want versus the other way around.

Just my two cents.. :

Chris

I think some us use the Fiero chassis to circumvent the registration process with a custom tube chassis. I would like have a tube chassis but I have no idea even how to begin to register one.

Whatever happened to all those guys who were building all those Murcs? The were posting on here daily about exotic engines and realistic exhaust notes, the only one I see that is still at it is IKR. Did they all give up on their dream?

Msaby

Quote Originally Posted by msaby
    Whatever happened to all those guys who were building all those Murcs? The were posting on here daily about exotic engines and realistic exhaust notes, the only one I see that is still at it is IKR. Did they all give up on their dream?
    Might be an economy thing and it also might be due to Audi's crackdown in the market and the fact that the Murci styling is getting a little dated (Lamborghini has a replacement planned soon). I know that I've posted about a handful of "help needed" topics for my Murcy build and have about half of them answered. I was also under the impression from all the previous threads that at least a dozen people had builds underway and were out there to help others

I'll chug away and I'm willing to share any information with anyone that I might have which is limited as this point since I'm feeling my way around my project and figuring it out as I go. :

Chris

well chris i can always try and help you out if i can, goes for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffscustomfab
    well chris i can always try and help you out if i can, goes for anyone.
    I appreciate the offer and need all the help I can get with my G28L kit.

My newest hurdle is trying to figure out how to mount all of the grills into place. I'm thinking that the easiest way is to use some bolts either bonded or drilled into some flat plastic stock and create some mounting tabs. I'd use the exposed end of the bolt with some nuts and attach the grilles to the plastic tabs. Once I've got the tabs in place it's just a matter of bonding the tabs to the car body. I figure doing it this way will allow for the grills to be removed as needed and provide a solid mounting point that is permanently mounted to the car.

As far as my doors.... I'm in the large club of guys that could use help mounting them an getting the power windows working right.

Whodeanie has my bat wings and is working his magic on the lower parts of them. I've built out the frames on my car to mount them to when I get them back. I should only need to add a couple of 12v. linear actuators and this becomes another part of the car that is done. The engine hatch on my car is a mess and it looks like I'll be chopping it up and re-glassing everything back together to get it to fit correctly.

Everyone say a little prayer for me and my project.. ;D

Chris