Thread: anyone that works with foam

anyone that works with foam

i have 2 questions. first is what kinda foam do i use for doing seats? something i can shape. where do i get it from? next is. i see a few people making parts with foam, then glassing it. what kind of foam is that you use. that you glue together n carve and shape? also where do i get it from? thanks boys

Re: anyone that works with foam

Polystyrene is what most use. It can be hand carved, hot wired and or cut with cnc. I am told that polyurethane will produce a toxic fume if hotwired so I would stay away from that.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by lambochik
    i have 2 questions. first is what kinda foam do i use for doing seats? something i can shape. where do i get it from? next is. i see a few people making parts with foam, then glassing it. what kind of foam is that you use. that you glue together n carve and shape? also where do i get it from? thanks boys
    I am too lazy to look up all the proper names for all the different foams so will just give you examples...
    Foam use to form cars and parts have two common ones that are used (found a Home Depot or Lumber Stores).
    White Foam (sheets) like used in coffe cups ... cheap, course, flakes in small chunks, easily glued, shaped with hand tools like a flat cheese grater, cut with hack saw blade or sharp knife. Coat with a tintable shellac (2 good coats) as a sealer then paint with a water base paint.
    Pink Foam (sheets) used mostly to insulate ... costs more, high density, easily glued, can use finer grade hand tools, sanding blocks, etc to shape. More commercial coatings available to choose from.
    Foam for doing seats can only advise googling it or contacting local upholstery shop.
    Good Luck hope this helps.... Beer.. I know I set one down here a minute ago .. wonders off to look for it.

Here's a link for rigid and flexible foam supplier:

http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-F...c10/index.html

sent a pm.

For making bucks, I like the pink foam from Home Depot. I can hot knife, hot wire, sand, glue, and CNC it easily. For seat cushion, I would not use it. I prefer closed cell foam for seats. When I customize my seats (mainly to make the passenger side perfect for my wife), I will buy up to six different types foam. Remember that there is the type of foam, density, and closed cell vs open cell. We are not the only ones who have this problem. I was talking to a Tesla engineer and he said that the big problem that they just could not get right is the foam in the seats. They are trying to use the least amount of foam possible to keep the seat position low, yet be comfortable.

Find your local foam store and get some samples and test, test, test. Let us know how it goes.

It's innovative. Can it be successful with foam?