Thread: Use turbo 4 banger engine and tranny in Countach

Use turbo 4 banger engine and tranny in Countach

Has anyone tried a front wheel drive drivetrain in a replica mid engine car? I have a Countach with the long. mounted Chevy 350/Porsche 4 speed and I hate how close to the firewall the engine sits. I was thinking of a SRT4 drivetrain or EVO/STI drivetrain as a replacement. I have zero knowledge of this kind of configuration, but it seems like a frontwheel drive engine/tranny would work the same in the rear of the car as it does in the front of the car! Any thought?

Re: Use turbo 4 banger engine and tranny in Countach

When JVD customs was around, John used a 4g63t motor out of a dsm and made some good power out of it. He fitted it in a Murci replica. Not much for sound but I think he said he pulled like 350 hp on it. Its pretty easy to get that kind of power out of a Dsm engine.

That is essentially the same type of configuration that is in a Fiero and fiero based replicas. The powertrain configuration is essentially a transverse front wheel drive setup with fixed tierod setup installed in the rear. However..... they still fairly close to the rear wall.

The V6s

My 4 cyl:

In fact, my Countach uses a transverse v6. It's not built for speed, it's a great cruiser that's peppy and makes some decent noise. Gas mileage is pretty decent too.

if you still want really good power, consider a supercharged 3800 and automatic from a Pontiac GTP. 300 HP is easy.

It would be pretty simple to actually do the swap all you would need is some adaptors and an engine. Jets303 is very right about the DSM engine producing good numbers however they have reliablity issues.

The SRT-4 is a very good one Id think its possible to put one back there if people can stick a V8 in there why not a 4 banger.

Also keep the option of using a V6 as well. the 3800 and 3.4's are practically bolt on kits if your a Fiero under neith, they can do dropped in with little to no work.

mine is a tube chassis. I am just kicking around ideas and it would be nice to have a paddle shift system as well due to the lack of space in the countach! I'm just trying to be creative with my tinker toy.