Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need fiberglass panel advice. Please Help before I goof it up!

Re: I need fiberglass panel advice. PLEASE HELP before I goof it up!

try seperating inner and outer panels on the outer and top bonding ridge and leave the edge by the glass still bonded together. Now setup a jig by having sort of bar stiking up from the inside so that when you close the deck lid it will hit it from the inside just arount the corner close to the glass. Find a heavy weight and put it on opposite corner where its sticking up. the weight will push it down in the effect that you have indicated by the red line. Once you figure out how much weight you will need, put it aside and put some bonding compound of your choice back in those seperated 2 sections. lay the deck lid back on the rod and put the weight back on top of the lid. Ocne it cures it will stay inthe new position. If you like you can drop it by 1/8 inch just in case it likes to defleck back a bit

Mac,
    I would not cut the top surface. Once you do that you are going to be in for a lot of finish work to get it looking smooth again. I would put a cut along the inner surface (see attached picture). This cut will give the top surface some flexibility to it. You may have to play around with the width of the slot in order to get the top to bend enough to fit where you want it to. Once you know you can get it to bend where you want it, open the cover and throw in some bonding agent (kitty hair, epoxy etc) between the cut lines, close the hood and secure it at the height you want using weighs, tape or what ever you can to keep it in place until it dries. Once dried, grind down a section and add in some layers of fiberglass to strengthen it. I have had to do this a few times already and it has worked for me. The good news is... if you dont get it right the first time, you can re-cut the line and try again...

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All great advice.

Thanks guys... I'm glad you all talked me out of cutting the outer skin. That would of made much more work. What I ended up doing was to cut out a section of the inner skin. I didn't attempt to separate the original bonding locations. The section I removed should bond back fairly easily.

I put a brace from the top side with some square tubing and little blocks of wood. I then used a heat gun and heated the whole area until you could of fried bacon on it. I'm now in process of adding additional fiberglass from the inside to hold the shape like Don suggested. So far, it is working out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Berlinetta
    Mac,
    I would not cut the top surface. Once you do that you are going to be in for a lot of finish work to get it looking smooth again. I would put a cut along the inner surface (see attached picture). This cut will give the top surface some flexibility to it. You may have to play around with the width of the slot in order to get the top to bend enough to fit where you want it to. Once you know you can get it to bend where you want it, open the cover and throw in some bonding agent (kitty hair, epoxy etc) between the cut lines, close the hood and secure it at the height you want using weighs, tape or what ever you can to keep it in place until it dries. Once dried, grind down a section and add in some layers of fiberglass to strengthen it. I have had to do this a few times already and it has worked for me. The good news is... if you dont get it right the first time, you can re-cut the line and try again...

Good luck!
    Ferrari Berlinetta, I didn't read this post until after I cut out the inner section. Your suggestion could of possibility worked as well in this case. Although the warpness is over the entire area. By removing the panel all together the entire section was able to flex into the correct location.

Re: I need fiberglass panel advice. Please Help before I goof it up!

If it does not work in the end I have an idea aswell.. it's a bit more drastic.. but I think it solves the problem.. I'll follow the this thread closely..
    Cheers

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. This issue is solved!

I refitted the inside panel with some 3M Fiberglass matting adhesive. Now it just needs some touch up before paint.

Now on to the quarters!