Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Canada Closed to Any Modified Imports

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    was Canada now Philippines
    A kit car can be brought in if there is proof that it was completed over 15 years ago, like registration.

    An incomplete kit car can be brought in with a very strict number of parts from each supplier. The parts list must be approved before attempting to import.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Thank God i'm in the good ol' USA. I hope we don't follow suit in the future though.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    escort girls dubai

    your blog is really awesome blog..Awesome thing....Great job..I am really impressed to read all this great information.I am really appreciated this great information..I got the very best information from your site....I want to visit here again....thanks for sharing all this awesome information.

  4. #14
    Patron Class Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    If they don't look at it at the border, I guy just have to get fake recipes for the parts, go at registration bureau and tell them He made it him self no?
    " "

  5. #15
    Damn that sucks. I know the racing industry for imports like say Honda Integra Type-R and Nissan Silvia Spec-R will ruin people businesses. People have been doing Honda Integra Type-R replica for the longest time but they don't think of them as a kit car. They usually call it JDM Integra Type-R or JDM I.T.R..

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    see how this car is customized in Canada

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Canadians. Canadians. Canadians. More think for he?

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Bendigo, Australia
    Well a few things to think about;
    1- why do you think stuff made in the USA is better than the home grown
    2- Why give the USA your hard earned cash anyway.
    3- Your local expertise may now get a chance to excel
    John Daley Bendigo, Australia
    Sidecar racer

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    United Kingdom
    Before you import, make sure you check your vehicle against Transport Canada’s List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States. If there is no information concerning the current model year, you will need to contact the manufacturer to determine its admissibility.

  10. #20
    The title of this thread is a little misleading. You can import some completed replicas/kit cars into Canada.
    Here's a link to the current government rules:

    Note specifically the section titled "Importing completed kit cars into Canada" about half way down the page:

    "Most kit cars do not qualify to be imported to Canada. The exceptions are kit cars that are over 15 years old.Kit cars older than 15 years are not regulated by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. They are referred to as "age-exempt." This means that you can import the completed kit car into Canada if it meets entry requirements from the Canada Border Services Agency."

    (Print out the above section of the official website as you may need it when your cross the Canadian border.)

    What it comes down to is the year of the vehicle on the title, and if it is modified from the original car then you need proof that it was built over 15 years ago.
    When it comes to Countach/Diablo/F40 replicas, chances are they were built at least that long ago.

    Canadian and U.S. border agents (CBSA) will look for a proper VIN plate on the car.
    They will also look for the manufacturer's EPA/safety regulations/compliance decal.
    Chances are if it's a 308/F40 replica which kept the original Fiero doors, it will still have it on the door jamb (if I recall). Otherwise you could get one from Ebay/Pennocks.

    It's important that you declare it "age-exempt" per the above rule. If not, you will have to through an RIV (registrar of imported vehicles) process, which requires a very strict inspection, and you have a time limit to do so. There's also RIV fees. Avoid that route if at all possible.

    The age-exempt rule allows you to just bring the car into Canada with a simple "out of province" inspection, which essentially checks for lights, brakes, wipers, etc. That inspection happens much later.

    In other words, you're not going to be driving it through the border because you won't have it registered and insured under your name in Canada.
    Expect to tow it across the border.
    Perhaps you can first register it in your name in the US and get some sort of insurance binder into Canada, but I've never explored that route.

    Also note that when importing a vehicle into Canada, it first needs to be exported out of the U.S.A.

    So here's the order of steps:

    1) Prepare car for export out of the U.S. To do that, ensure the border crossing that you will be going through has a copy of the title and copy of bill of sale at least 72 hours before you plan on bringing it across.
    You will also need to hire the services of a brokerage company to do the paperwork and request an ITN (internal transit number) through the AES (Automated Export System). I was told there's no getting around that, but it only costs around USD$150 for the brokerage.

    2) The day of the export/import, you bring your car to the U.S. side border first, along with the original title and bill of sale.
    Present your brokerage paperwork/AES number as well to the U.S. border guards.
    They will inspect the car and check that the VIN numbers match the title.
    Once all is clear, they will stamp your U.S. title with an "Exported" stamp.

    3) You then proceed to cross the Canadian border.
    There you will present all of the paperwork again and they will also inspect the car again.
    You will have to then fill out an Form 1 for import.
    Ensure that you specify that it is an age exempt vehicle and bring along copies of the government page that I linked above, as border agents do not deal with age exempt cars on a regular basis.
    You shouldn't have to deal with an RIV registration because you're age exempt.

    They will look for the VIN and the compliance label again.
    Once all is good, they will charge you the duty (if applicable) and a GST tax on the vehicle and stamp your Form 1.

    You will then take it home to Canada, and take your time preparing it for the inspection.

    4) Once it's inspected, you can register it and insure and at that time you will pay the provincial taxes for it.

    Worst case scenario, if the Canadian side doesn't approve it for import into Canada and you're stuck at the border, ask to have it imported as a race car or parts only.
    This will let you bring the car through, but you will not be able to register it for street use in Canada.
    You can then buy a registrable beater Fiero back home, and swap out the body - that should only take a couple of days (or years), but at that point, you won't need an inspection because you're on an already Canadian-registered Fiero.

Similar Threads

  1. Canada Closed to Kit Cars
    By CARBUILDER in forum General Kitcar Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
  2. Is B and B spyders closed.......?
    By pavo_rodddy in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 02:31 AM
  3. Modified EVO-KIT on 89 Firebird
    By MADMIKE in forum The Mall
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-31-2005, 12:50 PM
  4. Ultimate fiero/ Hannover imports
    By racing_trends in forum General Kitcar Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2002, 03:30 PM
  5. Open or closed loop?
    By Fino in forum Technical Discussion & Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2002, 04:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts