Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shift Gate for Fiero

You guys might be hard pressed for answers. This post is 5 years old.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

The plate will really depend on how high your console is. The H pattern will get bigger the farther away it is from the shifter base.

I'm not promising anything, but I have a CNC mill and just got a 3D printer.

Send me some information:
    How thick do you want the plate
    Outside diameter of the plate
    Distance of H pattern front to back (measure actual movement, don't include clearance)
    Distance of H pattern side to side (measure actual movement, don't include clearance)
    Distance of R leg side to side (measure actual movement, don't include clearance)
    Diameter of shift shaft
    How much clearance do you want from shift shaft to the plate?
    Where is the R leg is located (I.E closest to 1st gear pushed forward, or pushed back)?

It would take 5 minutes to draw it in CAD and I would like to 3D print something other than a stupid Yoda figure.
    If it works, I'll make you a good deal on cutting an aluminum plate or give you the CAD so you can get it cut somewhere else.

Brian
    Last edited by falzonmotorsports; 01-07-2017 at 07:18 AM.

Sounds like Brian has you covered. That was the process I gave my guy to create the file in Sketchup. Let me know if the skp or stl files would be helpful. Don't forget the riser as well.

Rick

Use these as the template
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/ma...-aluminum.html

or just ask Rob at fierovation

Quote Originally Posted by falzonmotorsports View Post
    It would take 5 minutes to draw it in CAD and I would like to 3D print something other than a stupid Yoda figure.
    Stupid Yoda figure? When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good your figure will not, hmm?

I can try to get you some measurements for my car. I dont' have a garage, so it is currently parked under a cover in the driveway. It may be a few days.

Speaking of 3D printing, can you make a center console and switches? Maybe even a "console cover plate" which would fit over an existing center console. Or is that too large? Not sure who made my console, but it's basically a piece of sheet metal, folded into a three-sided box, with a hole for the shifter and a hole for the power window switches, then upholstered with black vinyl.

I also need new switches for the power windows, as they are cracked and very worn. I thought about trying to find Ferrari switches, or even replica "covers"/switch handles that could fit onto a generic switch, so that a generic Radio Shack-type momentary switch would look like a Ferrari window switch.

I don't have a printer, and don't know anyone who does, so not sure how feasible those ideas would be.

LOL on the Yoda post.

I'm new to 3D printing, so I'm struggling to get a really nice print. Actually I haven't even made it to the Yoda print. I'm still printing test cubes and dimensional verification parts. My biggest problem is the print detaches from the bed, which causes the part to warp. It's been getting better every print, but it's a lot of trial and error.

At this point, a shift plate is a good baby step for me.

I use ShapeWays for my 3D printing. Fast and relatively inexpensive. They automatically check your file to make sure it's good for printing. Then they give you a list of materials options with prices for printing. I don't recommend the platinum, it's a bit pricey. My shift riser was over $8,000 in platinum hehe.

I have no idea what's wrong with the stupid photo uploading software for this site, but it seems every time I try, nothing happens.

Anyway, for those wanting a functional shift gate for a five speed using the EuroShifter arm, the measurements for the fore & aft slots are 12 mm wide x 58 mm long with 6 mm spacing between each slot. The width of the transverse slot in the center of the pattern is a minimum of 14 mm. The pattern does depend on the plate being installed at a particular height above the shifter base, which I'll post tomorrow when I get the chance to measure it on mine. Again, this is for a standard 5 speed shift pattern (Getrag or Isuzu) with reverse below 5th.
    Last edited by Bloozberry; 03-01-2017 at 08:34 PM.