Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Brand New Build Foam CNC Lamborghini.

Quote Originally Posted by ArashB View Post
    If you have the time and some funds you really should build a larger CNC machine, specially if you're doing a whole car because it seems like that cut piece you have in the picture alone probably took over an hour where if your machine could hold a router and a large bit for the rough pass, it may do it in 10 minutes.
    What I hate about the cutting most is the noise it creates... I mean I can wear ear plugs or big headphones, but I wonder if the high pitch noise will reach my neighbours.
    I've bought a water cooled spindle to avoid the noise (even if the milling of the foam make some noise) , which can run during many hours
    For the moment, i can't increase the size due to my job, i'm trying to find a bigger local for the car's build.

Quote Originally Posted by ArashB View Post
    If you have the time and some funds you really should build a larger CNC machine, specially if you're doing a whole car because it seems like that cut piece you have in the picture alone probably took over an hour where if your machine could hold a router and a large bit for the rough pass, it may do it in 10 minutes.
    What I hate about the cutting most is the noise it creates... I mean I can wear ear plugs or big headphones, but I wonder if the high pitch noise will reach my neighbours.

Currently I plan to put my machine in a tiny storage room in the apartment where I have thick couch foam all around. Over the last 3 months I have also been collecting egg cartons and have a large stack of them which I want to surround the Z axis with so that the noise waves will bounce/deflect with in and reduce the sound. Over heating the router will be another problem.

i plan on using a grow tent to house my cnc machine, to keep the foam from going everwhere and to suppress the noise. Also i have a speed controller i got from harbor freight that controls the rpms on my router, i have it set close to minimum so the noise can only be heard 5 feet from outside the garage, you dont need that many rpms to cut foam anyway.

i also plan on using a larger growtent as a paintbooth for coating molds.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Great idea! I guess a homemade one of these could consist of thick blankets and tarp wrapped around a cage.

Some of my progress
    http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/431/46446161.jpg
    http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2596/74649976.jpg
    http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7563/86835673.jpg