Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: working with fiberglass

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mooresville, nc 28115
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by CMI-Cars View Post
    How many layers of fiberglass do you recommend to a body?
    and what wheight of the matts should it be?
    i was taught to go 6 to 10 oz worth of matting. when and where you can. which could be at least 4 layers of 1.5 oz mat or 3 layers of 2oz matthe days of trying to get to 1/4 to 5/16 thick bodies is a thing of the past the techno in todays resin is much better even with the gp resin. i think the biggest issues are with the newer bodies where certian body panels can only be so thick or they wont fit. at least with my bodies, not sure about the g24/28 from what i have seen the flanging on them does allow for a thicker part. but that problem is because of the use of epoxy/carbon fiber the part can be much thinner. for instance the hood i can only go three layers thick on each half any more than that and the hood would be taller than the fenders. same goes for the doors. this is another reason i feel it is important to use a high quality resin. low profile, high viscosity which helps make a thinner part with the same amount of matting and can take almost the same amount of heat as the epoxy. in otherwards you can paint it red and let it sit in the hot sunny desert under extreme heat and the panels will not move or warp even though they are that thin.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    170
    Cliff could you make a video making molds of one part of lambo? It will be very interesting.

    All the marks of fiber or epoxi are the same quality or do you recommend any?

    Regards

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mooresville, nc 28115
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by patata View Post
    Cliff could you make a video making molds of one part of lambo? It will be very interesting.

    All the marks of fiber or epoxi are the same quality or do you recommend any?

    Regards
    i would love to. but i really have no idea how to do that stuff. and all but a couple of the body manufactures would really really hate me if i did know how to do that. because i would be able to prove exactly why barts, johns, or my stuff is the proper stuff to use. sorry but if say anymore than that it will upset a lot of people. but i would love to do that just for every ones info and what they should look for when they are looking to buy a body.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffscustomfab View Post
    i would love to. but i really have no idea how to do that stuff. and all but a couple of the body manufactures would really really hate me if i did know how to do that. because i would be able to prove exactly why barts, johns, or my stuff is the proper stuff to use. sorry but if say anymore than that it will upset a lot of people. but i would love to do that just for every ones info and what they should look for when they are looking to buy a body.
    Bads new to me

    Some time ago I see a image where any guy add an air in for demold with facility, how it work? And how is the mold in the face in? donīt make mark in the finish part?

    Regards

    this is the image :P

    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5284/...c3c41201_o.jpg
    Last edited by patata; 06-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member CMI-Cars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by patata View Post
    Bads new to me

    Some time ago I see a image where any guy add an air in for demold with facility, how it work? And how is the mold in the face in? donīt make mark in the finish part?

    Regards

    this is the image :P

    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5284/...c3c41201_o.jpg
    It wont make a noticble mark if done correctly (as far as I have seen at least)
    I think its a clever way to do it. Have seen one guy doing it with water (dont know what its called in english) where he just clicks a normal waterhose on and turn on the water, and "puf" it realeses.


    One you other question, didnt quit understand what you meant.
    You want to know how to make a one pieace mold, or how you make a one pieace in a mold?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mooresville, nc 28115
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by patata View Post
    Bads new to me

    Some time ago I see a image where any guy add an air in for demold with facility, how it work? And how is the mold in the face in? donīt make mark in the finish part?

    Regards

    this is the image :P

    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5284/...c3c41201_o.jpg
    the air fitting in the glass is a pretty simple deal. to me though i feel it is an extra step. i do usually use air to demold a part. i will slip a wedge into a side then use a blow gun to finish popping it. but really if you have the mold finished very smoothly and properly prepped you will find that it is really not needed. actually if i have the time to let a part sit in the mold for a few days it will separate itself. i have even had that happen when making molds. its all in the prep work. i do know a guy that does that air setup. what he does is place a little sticker over the hole before he gel coats. this keeps the gel coat from seeping into the hole. then when the part is done he will sand that down. if i think about it on one of my next little molds i will do that and take pics of how i did it.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    170
    thanks for reply

    the hole is the problem.

    http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3692/dibujouiq.jpg

    If I do it, the red (gel coal) and fiber (green) will make a bubble with the air hole... how I can avoid it?

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    208
    When using Bondo use a cardboard carton mix bondo on side of box, cut apiece of the end flap about 2x2" and use as applicator.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mooresville, nc 28115
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by patata View Post
    thanks for reply

    the hole is the problem.

    http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3692/dibujouiq.jpg

    If I do it, the red (gel coal) and fiber (green) will make a bubble with the air hole... how I can avoid it?
    howdy patata, again this is why my friend uses a little round sticker to put over the hole before he starts the part making process. this will help keep the gel coat or resin from seeping in the hole. and the finish will be flat or if their is a little bump it would be very minor and easy to remove by sanding and polishing.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    208
    Small piece of stick tape or packaging tape will do not masking tape

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •