Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Budget Build My Velo Rossa

As I have zero experience shaping metal finish work, I haven't given much thought to a trim piece for the that opening. I do agree it would be a nice detail for a replica GTO. But since I'm not trying to replicate one, it's a non-issue for me. I'm still debating over headlight covers and associated trim rings. Maybe when all the body work is done, I'll want to add some bright work. We'll see.

Couldn't see any of the pictures....

Time for an update. Unfortunately there is no progress to report. Only regression.

A couple of months ago my son was showing the VR to a friend. When he fired her up for a little drive, we spotted a fuel leak near the carb. We quickly shut her down and fixed the problem. My son then leaned in and turned the key while standing outside the drivers door. The VR immediately started.... while in gear!!!... and drove about six feet... directly under the rear of my daughter-in-laws Mazda 6... before stalling out. The back of the Mazda now rested on the bonnet of the VR approximately three feet in the air. After jacking the Mazda up about three inches we were able to push the VR out from underneath.

The damage is mostly cosmetic. I'll have to redo all the fiberglass work I did to extend the scoops and do a little reinforcing. The only functional damage was to the bonnet hinge bracket. The upper bolt "ears" snapped off under the weight of the Mazda. A simple fix with a little welding.

I only wish I would have had the presence of mind to take a photo while the Mazda was resting on the hood. It was quite comical. And it was a good thing the Mazda was in the way. Without it the VR would have driven off our paved parking pad and dropped 30 feet to the gully below, al a 'Ferris Buellers Day Off'.

For now, the VR waits out the rainy season (long overdue here) under a temporary RV cover. Hoping to start construction on a permanent home for her this spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Fauxre; 01-13-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G35Mike View Post
    Couldn't see any of the pictures....
    Deleted original and reposted... hopefully the pictures are working now.

I can't see the pics either

Use the photobucket app to easily upload pics from your phones
    You just copy and paste IMG links photobucket provides in the body of your post

I spent today pulling the VR out of storage, charging the battery and repairing the broken front bonnet hinge with my son. I little grinding, welding and painting and she's good as new. I will attempt to refit the bonnet tomorrow and she'll be road worthy again. Repairing the fiberglass nose damage is next.

Waiting on the engineering plans for the her permanent home. Once they're done, I can submit them, along with the architectural drawings, to the county building department for approval

do you have any updates? I was digging back and just watched your whole build today. Absolutely amazing.

Thanks.
    No progress on the VR. I'll be submitting the garage plans to the county within a month, now that I've got some quotes on the cost of the foundation.

Well it's been six months and the county still hasn't approved my shop project. The plans sailed through five different departments with minor revisions. Then in January, the planning dept. decided that I need a grading permit for the building pad that already exists. That required a civil engineer to draw up a storm water drainage plan, a grading plan and a geotechnical report. They also advised that my neighbors parking area (which is 300 feet from the proposed building and was constructed by the builders of both houses) encroached on my property and I would need to apply for a change to the property line or rip out the paved and fenced improvements.

I was advised, by my architect, that a geotechnical report alone usually runs about $4000. Lucky for me, I was able to get a copy of the report used for the homes' construction from the builder... for nothing. And my neighbor provided me with a copy of the easement granted for the parking area. The grading and drainage plans came to a total of $3500. Everything was submitted two months ago and all the permits have been approved. But planning still has my project marked as "revisions needed." Waiting to find out why. Sucks!!!!

Now... a little about the car.
    The steering is stock Z... and manual. I've been looking for an inexpensive way to convert to power steering... and I think I've found it. The electric power steering from an '05-'07 Saturn Vue or Chevy Equinox. I stumbled over this video last night.

https://youtu.be/uKzCaEjvJeM

I was so intrigued, I pulled a unit today at my local Pick N Pull. Unlike the Cobra in the video, I don't have any room in the engine compartment, so I'll mount it under dash. I'm planning on a custom interior, so I'll remove the original Z dash, get the unit mounted and adjusted, then build a one off dash around it.

Probably get it all done before the shop project finally gets approved.