Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using donor side windows for a bubble hatch design, all legal?

are you making a spyker kit?

No, a custom kit for the 1990+ Nissan 300zx using the the Spyker design.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels View Post
    It's your face, I not use the Honda rear window.
    This is for the back though, if I understand it right, the law says back windshields and side windows have to be safety glass.

Here, its safety is compared to plastic glass.
    Perspex generally snaps into sharp edged, knife shaped shards or segments(unlike Safety Glass)and as such, is capable of inflicting serious, life threatening injuries.
    Don't forget that the Motor Racing analogies that you are using as an example, are not remotely similar to road accidents(due mostly to the fact that the driver is wearing protective clothing AND a safety helmet(most likely full-face)and in many cases will also have a roll cage.
    Safety Glass rarely causes anything greater than tiny little nicks and scratches(it also has an embedded plastic film which keeps most of the glass in place, even when shattered).
    I think all cars have safety glass as a back windshield.
    Last edited by ArashB; 04-10-2012 at 03:19 PM.

too bad, would love to see a spyker replica since im dutch and spyker is the only real car pride we have, we also have donkervoort, but those are just caterham replicas, and daf, but these are not made anymore and where ugly, but almost all spykers are beautiful luxurious sleek and fast, but nice concept nonetheless

Come to think of it, I have never seen laminated safety glass on any OEM car for the side or rear widows.

Quote Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
    Come to think of it, I have never seen laminated safety glass on any OEM car for the side or rear widows.
    Go back to the 50's and early 60's they all laminated side glass.

I found some answers here
    HowStuffWorks "How does safety glass work?"

Automakers began using laminated safety glass, also known as auto glass, for automobile windshields in 1927.
    Laminated glass like that in your car windshield is manufactured by laminating 2 pieces of glass together with a PVB (polyvinyl butyral) inner-layer. When broken, the glass cracks but stays together so there is no danger of lacerations.
    Tempered safety glass is a single piece of glass that gets tempered using a process that heats, then quickly cools, the glass to harden it. The tempering process increases the strength of the glass to five to 10 times that of untempered glass. Tempered safety glass breaks differently than regular clear glass. When tempered safety glass is struck it does not break into sharp jagged pieces of shrapnel-like glass as normal window panes or mirrors do. Instead, it breaks into little pebble-like pieces, without sharp edges. It is used in the side and rear windows of automobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. K View Post
    too bad, would love to see a spyker replica since im dutch and spyker is the only real car pride we have, we also have donkervoort, but those are just caterham replicas, and daf, but these are not made anymore and where ugly, but almost all spykers are beautiful luxurious sleek and fast, but nice concept nonetheless
    Currently Im learning software to make the Ferrari F-Zero for the front design.

I love Zagato's designs he also did a nice job on the v12 Aston... I was playing with this model last month but chose the Spyker rear.

Lastly looking at my photoshops, those rectangle hatch windows look better then the round ones.