Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: 512TR Slow Build

Hey Eddy, good to hear from you. The lower rear arms are angled to create anti squat geometry in the suspension. Thus preventing excessive bottoming of the rear , like when accelerating. The front C4 suspension also makes use of this by angling the upper arms , creating anti-dive geometry under hard braking. - Vinny
    Last edited by TRcrazy; 04-23-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    I wonder why the lower rear A arms are angled upward at the forward mount. I've seen this done on the Factory 5 GTM frame also. Any thoughts as to why?
    The control arms are angled to produce an effect called anti-squat. In a nutshell, acceleration forces cause the rear suspension to compress due to weight transfer. This makes the car squat in the back under acceleration. Anti-squat geometry has the effect of moving the location where those accelerative forces are applied, and so reduces their compressive effect on the rear springs.

Rats... Vinny beat me to it.

Blooze, that's funny as I was on your weebly site only 5 min ago ! (bookmarked for the 3rd time) Was looking for 86 front suspension x-member mounting dimensions to see where the C4 stuff is gonna land on the chassis.
    Blooze, you finished your 355 from what I gather off your site, Tell me was it all worth it?
    I ask because I'm about to take 3 major steps backwards with this car to get it where I want it. (engine, trans, suspension ) I've thought many times to start over with something else. -Vinny
    Last edited by TRcrazy; 04-23-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Remember, there is always next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TRcrazy View Post
    Was looking for 86 front suspension x-member mounting dimensions to see where the C4 stuff is gonna land on the chassis.
    I've only drawn side views of the front frame so far, and it's an '88 so it's a little bit different than your '86. You should pester Graham (http://ns355.weebly.com/) for his 3D drawings or at least the critical dimensions of the earlier front frame.

Quote Originally Posted by TRcrazy View Post
    Blooze, you finished your 355 from what I gather off your site, Tell me was it all worth it?
    Not done yet... the latest update, post #104, is under the "chassis" tab. I just completed the extended windshield mods. I still have to cut the door frames down, add a front frame/bumper bar, and do all the body and interior work. Two more years at the rate I work!

Thanks for the great explanations Vinny and Blooz! Squat would defiantly be a bummer!!! Goes to show I don't know squat Ha ha! cheers, Eddy

Vinny

I was going to call you this afternoon when I was in front of the car so thank you, I think this will help me a bunch

Adrian

In SketchUp I'am working out the new rear cradle using the known pick up points so far. This drawing has the extended axles figured in. I will likely make a thread in the Tech Section of all the Corvette Suspension Geometry when I get things sorted out. -Vinny

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBurton View Post
    Vinny

I was going to call you this afternoon when I was in front of the car so thank you, I think this will help me a bunch

Adrian
    Ring me up anytime. -Vinny