Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: NAERC Chassis Build

the 01E is good for 600 if you aren't abusing it the 016 has been known to survive 400 regularly, again is you aren't abusing it. I don't know of any auto transaxles that have been easily adapted aside from a few guys that have used the Chrysler 300m gearboxes, but there aren't any kits that I know of

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBurton View Post
    the 01E is good for 600 if you aren't abusing it the 016 has been known to survive 400 regularly, again is you aren't abusing it. I don't know of any auto transaxles that have been easily adapted aside from a few guys that have used the Chrysler 300m gearboxes, but there aren't any kits that I know of
    I may want to abuse it though lol

Quote Originally Posted by srd1 View Post
    I may want to abuse it though lol
    LOL who doesn't
    Pedro

so that means, Porsche, ZF or Ricardo... buckle up tho you are talking 8-10k for the box another 3-7k for the adapter, clutch and shifter

Would the 911 transaxles hold up? Their all over ebay for 2 to 4 thousand that i could live with 15 grand not so much.

Watch out when you research prices for Porsche transmissions from the aircooled 911s.
    There are essentially three main types:
    901, 915 and G50.

There are many subsets of these - 4 and 5 speed, LSD, different ratios, different case materials etc as you might imagine any car has with 30+ years of development.

The 901 was in the early ‘long hood cars’ and won’t take much more than 250bhp when in great condition. If you put 250 through it and then use the power, expect it to become a service item. I think it was something like 1965 to 72...?

You can pick these up for $1000 and up, but know that to service one correctly expect to spend $2-3k in parts and labor basic.

The 915 was the mainstay of the 911 through to 86 from memory. These will take up to 300bhp but need looking after and to be in good condition and not driven ‘like you stole it’. Frankly by today’s standards, it’s still a pretty basic box. It can be fun, but part of that fun is learning to ‘master’ the set up, to get the most out of it when driving. These ran from the early 70s through to the mid 80s and are the most plentiful.

These can be had from $1000 if you’re super lucky (someone on Craigslist doesn’t know what they have) and up to $6000 for something that has been serviced with LSD and specific gears etc. again like the 901, these are not cheap to service. Expect a $3-6k bill to have any serious work done on one. I picked one up a little over 7 years ago for $500 and it was an absolute STEAL. Even back then!

The G50 is pretty special and sought after in the Porsche community and frankly what I think you are looking for here. If you see one in good condition for you $2000 buy it. If there are two, tell me and I’ll buy one of them! I think they ran from 86 through to 90??? Something like that. Not 100% sure as they are a little out of my league!

Realistically, you are probably looking at $3k for an assembly with known problems and $5k for a unit with very little provenance, though you might get to drive it before pulling it out. Figure $7-10k for a sound one. Price depending on specs, location and build / service history.

Service is similarly astronomical as the 901 and 915. I think this is partially due to ‘Porsche tax’ and partially due to the seals etc being so damn expensive.

The Porsche 993 (the one before they went watercooled and got fried egg headlights) got the very last of the G50 transmissions - some of which were even 6 speed (holy grail stuff these days)

A good place to pick up more info on these is a board like Pelican Parts Forum, Porsche Parts for sale. The stuff that routinely comes up on eBay is often a little more $$$ than what the crowd are willing to sell to each other for. There are still sharks and flippers on their too!

Hope some of this help.
    Munky
    Last edited by MunkyKing; 09-15-2018 at 04:09 PM.

MunkyKing is right, here are a couple of sources

https://californiamotorsports.net/
    http://gboxweb.com/

The thing with the Porsche is that yo can flip the box over and run them, but if you are getting heavy power through them then you will need spray bars added

Awsome info thanks munky and adrian!!!

If you plan on running 500 HP or doing any sort of racing expect to pay at least $15,000 for a good transmission. There is really no way to do this cheap. The G50s will cost you at least $10,000 when you are all done getting it set up. The Mendeola is a good option but again pricey. RTB offers a good transmission but again cost is up there. The Audi R8 is an option but somewhat hard to find and pricey. The only inexpensive way to go is either the Audi 01E that has been built up or the Porsche 996 or Boxster S 6-speed. The 996 has to be run upside down. The Boxster is a really the best bang for your buck. They are good up to about 500 HP and since they are already mid-engine they can be run right side up and have the linkage on them for a cable shift. I make adapters for the Audi and 996 or Boxster transmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBurton View Post
    I have made adapters for the Chrysler 42LE and the ZF 5HP19. The issue is getting a controller to shift them.