Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: NAERC Chassis Build

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    I have made adapters for the Chrysler 42LE and the ZF 5HP19. The issue is getting a controller to shift them.
    I am not familiar with those transmissions, but I am running one of these in my eclipse. Its only a 4 speed, but this is set up to be able to control up to a 6 speed gear box, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't work in those: http://www.forcedfour.com/smart100_1.htm

I haven't tuned mine yet, but have it set up for manual shifting. I have heard reports of people loving it though. You can do full auto, including sport mode, custom shift points and custom line pressure depending on throttle position.

Wonder if those would work for a automatic porsche transaxle?

Quote Originally Posted by srd1 View Post
    Wonder if those would work for a automatic porsche transaxle?
    As long as it uses 12v solenoids to activate the clutch packs, line pressure and torque converter lockup, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You would just need an understanding of which combinations of solenoids will give you which gear so that you can program it in to the unit, which should be easy enough to find in a Chilton manual or something.

I don't know much about electronically shifter automatic transmissions but have been told that the Porsche needs inputs from the engine as well as other places to shift correctly. If this unit can be configured to shift those and the other transmissions mentioned earlier there are probably quite a few people who would be interested. I have had some handicapped people contact me about what automatic can be adapted for mid-engine use.

Just got caught up on your build... Wow your car is looking amazing. Love the attention to detail!
    -Glenn

"One day I had a bit of an argument with my friend Enzo Ferrari, who reckoned I wasn’t able to drive a Ferrari, only tractors. That’s when I got the idea into my head and told myself – I’ll make the cars myself from now on!" - Ferruccio Lamborghini

Quote Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
    Just got caught up on your build... Wow your car is looking amazing. Love the attention to detail!
    Thank you, yours is coming along great also!
    Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    I don't know much about electronically shifter automatic transmissions but have been told that the Porsche needs inputs from the engine as well as other places to shift correctly. If this unit can be configured to shift those and the other transmissions mentioned earlier there are probably quite a few people who would be interested. I have had some handicapped people contact me about what automatic can be adapted for mid-engine use.
    This is coming from my limited experience in the E9x BMW chassis and the DSM worlds, it could be totally different on a Porsche transmission. The inputs you are describing as needed are from the computer of the transmission, so you wont be able to take the whole thing and tie it into another engine, because the outputs of the new engine most likely have different calibrations. Using the forced4 unit, you remove the transmission control unit completely, and use this unit to control the solenoids on the transmission. The forced4 box does need a TPS signal, an RPM signal, and maybe another one or two I am not thinking of to help make the shifting more automatic from the engine.

Like I said above, it could be different on a Porsche, but I doubt it. Talking about the BMW E9x chassis, even with all the technology to make it fancier and more automatic, at the base it is still just a transmission with on/off solenoids to engage clutchpacks, line pressure and a torque converter lock-up.