Thread: Donor car after a kit has been installed ? Considered salvage or what ?

Donor car after a kit has been installed ? Considered salvage or what ?

Hello, I am fairly new to the kit car world and I would appreciate it if someone here could tell me the details of how a insurance company or a title company would consider your "donor" car after a kit has been installed on it.

I mean, If you were to take a mr2 and then strech it and then do all sorts of crazy modifications then would it be considered a salvage vehicle or something like that ?

I am asking because I have the option of purchasing a vehicle with a salvage title and another one with a clean title for a build that I plan on doing and I wanted to know what you thought of the idea of owning a clean title car for your build vs a salvage title aside from the obvious price drop.

Depending on you State. (They are all different) Buying a salvage vehicle can lead to issues when you attempt to register it. Especially if you’re not a car dealer or towing service. You should check with your local DMV to get the scoop on all your questions Depending on the kit, Some register them as a kit car and others as the original donor car.

The problem is if it has a rebuildable title you would have to fix the car the correct way back to stock then get the title work done THEN you can take it back to the shop and cut it up.

Thanks for the help! its nice to learn about these things haha..