Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: REAL Ferrari Testarossa Spyder project car for sale

ABSOLUTELY post a "re"build diary.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdangoodman View Post
    Attachment 22277Attachment 22278Attachment 22279Fauxrrari,

Thanks for the input, I did know that one of the things about kit cars is the lower maintenance costs, I actually bought this car during my journey to buy/build either a Diablo or 355 kit car back in the day. I'm now reconsidering even selling my car... :/ I'm somewhat torn between A) keeping it and finishing it as is, a TR Spyder, B) buying a 458 body and turning it into the "newest thing" with real Ferrari running gear, or C) selling it and maybe building a Murcielago kit on a Boxster. It's a tough choice whichever way I go, each option having it's own pluses and minuses. But no matter what I will end up with a sweet ride! If I do decide to keep it, I'm not sure you guys on the forum would be interested in a build journal or not, as it's really not a true "kit car" per se (although I did originally get the car in several boxes!!) I would be happy to post my progress if you want- for me it is pretty much the same to take a bunch of parts and turn them into a thing of beauty, be it a kit car or genuine, right? Meanwhile, I'll just look at pictures of what "might be", and dream...
    Absolutely post a "re" build diary! This site is about custom cars of all kinds, not just "kits", which are really just customized cars that started out as something else. The technical info you'd be making available to other builders concerning F cars would be invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by jntramey View Post
    Absolutely post a "re" build diary! This site is about custom cars of all kinds, not just "kits", which are really just customized cars that started out as something else. The technical info you'd be making available to other builders concerning F cars would be invaluable.
    Agreed. On this site we don't just have "kit" cars in common. It's about highly customized cars, and we love to follow builds, share ideas, and enjoy them vicariously through the owners of them.

Testarossa Spyder engine kid

Hi , I currently have a Testarossa that I'm converting to a Spyder. Do you know where I could obtain a Spyder Engine lid? Have you sold your car yet? Could I possibly make a mold of yours? I used to sell and build replicas for (Ray of IFG) up in Seattle.
    Thanks
    Mike
    206 422-5715
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdangoodman View Post
    Hello everyone,

While this is my first post on this forum, I have been following your builds and passion for hand-built unique cars and replicas for years. I have been interested in the kit car world for over 25(!) years, have owned (had built by IFG) a Mercedes SL kit on a Le Baron convertible, bought (never built, and sold) an IFG F355 kit, a couple of Fieros, etc.,etc.- my stack of "Kit Car" magazines goes back to the '70's when Fiberfab was king! As we all know a lot of projects never get finished for one reason or another, be it money, time, expertise, etc. not to mention all the wannabe b.s. artists who claim they can do this or that but fail to deliver anything even close to their promises. That being said, I am now contemplating selling my dream- a (genuine) 1986 Ferrari Testarossa Spyder which is about 80% complete (give or take). I actually bought this car from Ray Hoogenraad, the owner of IFG during the course of our business together, and I believe this is the car Ray took molds from to make his stretched Fiero T/R kit in the 90's (which as we know ending up in one of the first notorious Ferrari lawsuits which resulted in Ray cutting up the molds in front of the lawyers, etc.)

When I got the car the body panels were in boxes (hmmm...), and Ray had already cut the roof off and welded in structural reinforcements along the rocker area to stiffen the chassis (I believe he was going to offer a topless version of his kit). The engine was in but not running, many of the mechanical parts were not installed but were with the car. I have since spent over $20,000. to get the motor rebuilt and running, new clutch and pressure plate, new brake booster, etc. Another $10k in body work has been done to smooth the aluminum skin, the engine cover is now hinged at the rear of the car ("suicide-style") just waiting for hydraulic activators(?) but the deck lid needs a little TLC from someone with aluminum fabricating/welding skills. I have the complete original interior (not installed) which obviously would need to be recovered and put in.

I guess the reason I'm offering it for sale here is for a couple of things- I know the person that buys it will have to have some mechanical skills/ project experience to see it through. It is a true exotic, and when you're done with it you will need no excuses! It will sound like a Ferrari V-12 because it is one! I know the current prices for these cars, typically $50-60K in primo condition, but remember this is a spyder, Ferrari never officially made one, only R. Straman Co. converted a few Testarossas in the 80's and 90's. Only 1,000 T/R's were built in a year for their 10 year production run, so there are only 10,000 of these cars on the planet! And this would be the rarest of the rare, an open top car.

The buyer would be able to choose the color of the body and interior to suite his taste (I was personally going to go with Lamborghini pearl orange). For the price of a fiberglass kit with all the pieces, glass, interior, etc. and to take a "donor" car and upgrade it to these kind of specs would, I think, cost as much or more as I'm asking. And you'd still have a "replica". I have invested upwards of $75,000. in this over the years, and while great progress has been made I feel it is now (reluctantly) time to sell. I am asking $28,000. firm, no trades or b.s. You can disagree with me about the value of this but I know what I have into it, and what it can be. I think that anyone that would be willing to spend (realistically) $35-45K on a finished kit car (you guys know it's tough to do anything decent for $25-30K right?) would be right for this deal.

Anyway let me know your thoughts. I appreciate everything you guys do... I'm a car lover/nut too, and enjoy the sound and looks of a radical ride!

Thanks!

Is this car even still for sale ??

I'm interested in doing a Koenig testarossa spyder

Yes, I still have the car. I've been debating whether to finish it or not, but if someone really wants it... Haven't found the time to post it to Ebay yet but that may change soon. It's amazing how many inquiries I have gotten based only on this post and a 3 year old ad ad in Lamborghinireplica.com! But nobody serious enough, with the cash. I am astounded at how good of a deal this would be for someone wanting to own/build a REAL Ferrari...

I still long to see this car returned to it's former glory.....

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHAVED View Post
    I still long to see this car returned to it's former glory.....
    In case you guys haven't seen, she is up and running in the UK as "ratarossa"

https://www.thedrive.com/video/23606...-the-ratarossa

I tried linking pic and video but Google "Ratarossa"

The closest I came to pulling the trigger on this project was when I borrowed against my 401K two years ago. I realized after putting the down payment on my new house and picking this up, I wouldn't have nearly enough to make it roadworthy...so I passed. I was curled up in a fetal position and sobbing for a few days but eventually got over it...