Thread: VW based kit car on fiero chassis?

VW based kit car on fiero chassis?

I have a kelmark gt body that was on a vw beetle chassis I want to put on a fiero chassis. I have read that people have done it but I can't find any pics of what was done to modify the chassis to fit the body on it. The vw beetle pan is narrower then the fiero but I have some room to work with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Joe

I have both VW and Fiero based kit cars. Even though it might be possible to use a Fiero over a VW kit, it would be a lot of work. The big deal is that the Fiero is wider and the gas tank is in the middle. This pushes the seats a part and does not work well with VW kits. The real question you have to ask is what do you want from the kit? If you just want to get it on the road ASAP, then go with the VW pan. If you want a fast car that handles really well, then skip the Fiero and go straight to the tube chassis.

Are you planning on keeping the fiero's greenhouse?
    If so you can widen the body as needed to fit. I would take a splash off the entire centre section of the kelmark. Pull a part from the splash if the splash wasn't close enough, then use this to join the split body.

Otherwise I would keep the kelmark greenhouse body intact and add flares and imsa style rockers to widen the perimetre enough to mount on the fiero.

kind of like this
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I bleed styrene, bathe in acetone, and sparkle like a Cullen in the sunlight.

The VW motors can be quite powerful with the correct mods. I always liked the simplicity and design of their motors.

+1 on staying aircooled.

Even if I had a fiero I would get another bug to do this.

I think the kelmark is extremely low and I would want to keep it that way.
    I bleed styrene, bathe in acetone, and sparkle like a Cullen in the sunlight.

Keep the body on the VW pan but run a Subie wrx engine in it. Now you have lots of great horsepower,good heat and a/c,great fuel mileage and dependability.

Thanks for all the replies. I have read of 2 other kelmarks put on fiero frames but not much detail on how they did it.

It requires a lot of cutting to both the Fiero body and the Kelmark to make this work. You would be better served to go with a tube frame if you want something better than the VW pan. I have done several tube frames for Kelmarks and they work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    It requires a lot of cutting to both the Fiero body and the Kelmark to make this work. You would be better served to go with a tube frame if you want something better than the VW pan. I have done several tube frames for Kelmarks and they work very well.
    Do you have any suggestions or pics on the fiero chassis.
    Thanks