Thread: Custom chassis VERSUS stretched MR2

Exclamation Custom chassis VERSUS stretched MR2

Hi guys,

Im building aventador replica and that is the biggest question for me. I need your help

Custom chassis VS stretched Toyota MR2?

Who is better?
    Who is cheaper?
    Who is simpler?

Thanks!

This is just my opinion but you can still consider other ideas.

Better: If done right; Custom Chassis (Performance and Safety) + (Usually Lighter than Stretched MR2)
    Cheaper: Stretched MR2
    Simpler: Streched MR2 (Easier to Build than Custom Chassis)

I think you really have to look at your goals with the car, budget, dedication, and experience with cars.

I would guess a custom chassis would cost you $10-15,000 more than an MR2. Custom chassis is viewed as more legitimate by most people. It's not a hacked up, welded remnant of a cheap old Toyota/Fiero. In general, they are worth more. At the same time, kit cars depreciate and don't hold their value, so this wouldn't be my concern.

Custom chassis is a lot more work, and a lot of extra cost, both in money and time. A benefit to using a donor is that a lot of the effort is done for you. Suspension, wiring, steering, hvac, etc are already there. Of course a lot of it will need to be modified, but it's easier to modify than it is to engineer all these things yourself, and cheaper to use exisiting donor components than source parts elsewhere. Also, it takes a lot of experience working with cars to understand how various systems work together, and where they should be placed so that they don't interfere with each other.

What are your goals with the car? A high hp track car? A nice looking car that gets a lot of attention? Somewhere in between? If you're looking to build a top quality, high end replica, I'd suggest a tube chassis. If you just want a cool car to drive, I'd go MR2.

You also have to look at your dedication to the project. We've all tackled a project that should take 20 minutes, then a bolt won't come out, and pretty soon we're cussing that it's taken 6 hours to do the most remedial task. With a tube chassis, compound that by about 15 times. There's just a lot more to do, and if you're not prepared for it, you could wind up with a half finished hunk of steel and fiberglass that you wish you'd never set eyes on. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it takes a lot more patience, motivation, and dedication.

For the record, I'd personally always go with a donor over a tube chassis. Best of luck with the project.

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate your help and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by feelsounds View Post
    Hi guys,

Im building aventador replica and that is the biggest question for me. I need your help

Custom chassis VS stretched Toyota MR2?

Who is better?
    Who is cheaper?
    Who is simpler?

Thanks!

Cheaper: MR2
    Simpler: MR2
    Better: MR2

Why? Because thats what kit cars are suppose to be about right? building a supercar for far less than the cost of the real deal.

a Tube chassis will keep the cost up.

Now will it provide a better ride? Yeah I guess so since your starting from fresh metal vs a hacked up donor car(No pun) but when your done building it you could have had a real exotic car like a Diablo or Testarossa for the same amount of money. Is it really worth it? I don't think so. Its better to keep it simple. inexpensive!

As the guys said, Practicality and Taste. What dou want to do with said Replica?

You can make an exotic and fast car that doesn't take years to finish with a nice MR2. Also, MR2 and Fiero are not in the same class of donors for such a car. Toyota sold its last models of MR2 SW20 in the year 2000, only a year before the Murcielago was released. If Murcielago is what you want then MR2 is the perfect donor as it is barely the previous generation.

You can do it cheap and quick like CKI and have people "hacked up, welded remnant of a cheap old Toyota," or you can a do it right, and have it be well-moddified and with as many options as possible like I just did with my build "Inferno Roadster" - which has no flaws if/when compared with the Strength and Adaptability of a tube chassis! I don't think my build is a "hacked up, welded remnant of a cheap old Toyota", and it is as "Fresh Metal" as they come.

In my opnion, a 1997 Porsche Boxster is the perfect donor the Aventador.
    Last edited by am33r; 06-10-2013 at 11:37 AM.

A well engineered tubular chassis will suffer from minmal scuttle shake.
    A stretched/cut Mr2 will need an extensive well thought out cage installed to minimise scuttle shake, the longer a wheelbase the worse it gets.
    I went out in a Sebring kit car, this was a spaceframe roadster chassis, the scuttle shake was awful, I was also privileged to go out in a Nemesis, again a full tubular chassis, the scuttle shake was minimal.
    The Mk2 mr2 was originally designed with the option of a convertible, so the A pillars and chassis rails are quite rigid, but as soon as you do a stretch, you really need to think how you're going to stiffen up the chassis again, as good as a replica looks these things will really grind in the back of your head.
    A little off topic I know but, it's all too often ignored.

Hey, don't take any offense to "hacked up remnant of a Toyota". I meant it as a term of endearment, as I have two stretched Fieros of my own. Maybe I should have been more elegant in my post. Again, no offense intended.

Re: the Boxster as a donor - the dash sits farther to the rear than other donors. Makes the cab of the Murcielago kits a little odd with a long dash panel, and the dash sticks out a bit into the door area. Just something to be aware of.

I've built both and will only build "lambo" style cars with a tube chassis. The cockpit of everything else is just not in the right location and by the time you rebuild everything that needs rebuilding, you could have built a tube chassis. I do think fieros make a dang good 355, testarrosa and others. But look at the shape of a fiero and MR2 versus 355, the cockpit and proportions are very, very close. Next is stiffness, not to say it can't be done, but I've ridden and driven quite a few lambo stretched fiero cars and they all were, for the lack of a better word, spongee. I drove a diablo built on a MR2, same thing. Not that it could not be done and I don't know who did the stretch but...The biggest two issues with tube chassis and time and money. If you have the time and money, it should be a no brainer. If you want to put a body on a stretched donor with 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder and ride (and there is nothing wrong with that) then good. If you are planning a engine swap, upgrade brakes, upgrade suspension, rewire some or all of it. Dude, just go with a tube chassis.

Thanks guys!!!

I REALLY appreciate your advice!!!

Now I just need to make a research and look what price would be for tube chassis or stretched MR2 (
    considering about further upgrades)