Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Could anyone design/engineer plans for Carbon Fiber Tub / Monocoque Chassis?

it took me 5 min to find you on the net. ur all over the place !.. couple posts here , couple post there.. and so on.

No one on this forum has told you that you cant do shit! they are just giving there direction. I simply replied to you in the same manner you treated everyone on here.

You clearly don't have a fucking clue what it takes to run a production based business or build high quality parts with your own hands roll a round gas tank from a flat sheet of steel, or the hours it takes to make a part that you can sell to the public and be confident it won't kill someone!. I don't give a shit about what some guy who built his own monocoque told you in another conversation!. you sent me a message and I replied on a thread that you started so that I can share what is takes My company to build PROPER unit, with due diligence and liability for a pre production part like the one you asked about. No person or shop owner in their right mind will put their business and reputation on the line on a one time, hand layup, non post cured, non tested , non engineered unit.. and give it to some fucking wacko and let him build a car and kill himself in it !
    You don't know what you're talking about, or what you're doing!... or what I do for that matter! you're an armchair quarterback at best... you know all the stat, but have never played the game!
    If you came on here and acted like an adult, you would have seen that there are lots of good people on here with good info.. instead you cam across like an idiot!

Good luck with your monocoque dipshit!
    Last edited by brada; 04-10-2014 at 06:25 PM.

to be honest, you indeed played the game the wrong way. there are alot of experts here on the forum that made the right statements considering your request for a carbon monocoque. it will cost thousands and thousands of dollars, since you want a custom design monocoque. the gt40 monocoque you showed is a existing one covered with carbon, not a custom design one off developed tested chassis. but since you insulted basicly every single one of them that made a comment you didnt like, the people that would actiually be able to help you that havent tried yet, are certainly scared away. I know that if i would be a expert on cf structures i definately wouldnt help you anymore. i get that you just have a fun idea and want to execute it, but if you need help of others while youre a complete noob, dont lash out to the people you need, either way you will never succed since you have no idea how difficult and how much work this is.

this thread is hilarious!

If he charges $165/hr that doesn't mean that he makes that for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. It only states that when he does work for a client, he charges $165/hr, whether it's 1 hour or 100 hours. And even if he makes a lot of money, it doesn't mean that he no longer should be posting here. To businesses, social media is a very big part of business. Besides, he owns a business exactly that's why he has time to do what he wants

Oh and $165/hr is just a reasonable rate to charge if that is what he and his customers agree on. I have my own company as well, and depending on the type of work we are commissioned for I charge anywhere from $80/hr to $200/hr. But hey, what do we know, we only have our own businesses and waste our time in this forum you say, right?? Not trying to bash you, but your logic is totally wrong. People who have successful businesses means that they know what they are doing in their respective field at least, and just because they make enough or more than enough does not mean they blow all their money away.

And just to add, this is a place where people with all sorts of expertise hang out. You might want to think twice before you burn bridges here. Especially that you are looking for apprenticeship and an entry level job, meaning you still need to learn a lot, which the other guys here can point you to the right direction (me excluding since my field of expertise is totally irrelevant here). As an advice, try to listen to the guys in this forum that have been there and done that, and have been successful (again me excluding as I'm not one of them with expertise relating to this field).

Just my .02.
    Last edited by bangsters; 04-10-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Dr.,
    Even if you would have gotten a warm reception and found someone to build your tub, I believe you are much time and money away from spending that time and money. It is a common misconception that a car starts with a chassis and moves outward. It does not. It starts with the tires and wheels and moves inward. Let me explain. To establish the inner (chassis) mount points for the suspension, obviously you must first design the suspension. In order to do that, you must first establish the first and only set of givens, the tires and wheels. The tire height establishes the spindle centerline and it's width the track. The wheel and to a lesser extent the brakes establish the hubface. The body further establishes the track and wheelbase. Once those are known and outer pick up points are established, then the inner ones can be located. After the points, swaybar locations, shock mounts, and other critical points are established, then fill in the blank with your chassis. At this point a drivetrain would be helpful, not just for chassis design but for factors in simulation. This is the simplified version and I have left out the many hours of computer simulation for things such as roll centers in order to get to this point but hopefully you get the idea. I offer this service and would gladly accept your money. If on the other hand you are wanting to do it without all of this, the chassis that Ncrazy did for you is not a bad design.
    Last edited by 76mx; 04-11-2014 at 10:36 AM.

you're absolutly right 76,
    the hours in designing the suspension geometry and how those forces act on the subframes are a HUGE part in where and how you start designing a monocoque.
    Just taking into account how the ackerman point affects chassis design is one of many issued that are enough to make your head spin.

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    Dr.,
    Even if you would have gotten a warm reception and found someone to build your tub, I believe you are much time and money away from spending that time and money. It is a common misconception that a car starts with a chassis and moves outward. It does not. It starts with the tires and wheels and moves inward. Let me explain. To establish the inner (chassis) mount points for the suspension, obviously you must first design the suspension. In order to do that, you must first establish the first and only set of givens, the tires and wheels. The tire height establishes the spindle centerline and it's width the track. The wheel and to a lesser extent the brakes establish the hubface. The body further establishes the track and wheelbase. Once those are known and outer pick up points are established, then the inner ones can be located. After the points, swaybar locations, shock mounts, and other critical points are established, then fill in the blank with your chassis. At this point a drivetrain would be helpful, not just for chassis design but for factors in simulation. This is the simplified version and I have left out the many hours of computer simulation for things such as roll centers in order to get to this point but hopefully you get the idea. I offer this service and would gladly accept your money. If on the other hand you are wanting to do it without all of this, the chassis that Ncrazy did for you is not a bad design.