Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 355 spyder build KB

Yep... you're going to need new axles too. But you should wait until you've got your hubs properly located with your new control arms so you can measure how long they really need to be. There isn't much room for error even though the tripot joint at the transmission does allow some flexibility... remember, you've got to keep that flexibility for when the suspension travels up and down, causing the axle to shorten and lengthen.

Personally, I couldn't suggest what cars might have the right off-the-shelf length for you, but once you know how much longer they need to be I'm sure someone will be able to help. Your biggest challenge is going to be finding a passenger side axle since the stock Fiero axle is one of the industry's longest, but you'll need an even longer one. For my own car, I was able to adapt a jackshaft from another car for the passenger side, which meant that the actual axle could be much shorter. I still couldn't find any cars that had the right length axles with the correct spline count, so I bought a pair of used '96-'07 Dodge Caravan passenger side axles. Once I had removed the CV and tripot joints, the bare axle rods were 700 mm long and had the correct 27 mm diameter and 32 spline count at one end. I got a machine shop to cut the rods to the length I needed, and got them to re-spline the cut end for $75 an axle... considerably cheaper than having them custom made by say, Mosher. (I'd add photos but the damned uploader isn't working, again!)

You might have to do the same sort of thing... find a jackshaft that will fit your trans and engine block. BTW, you didn't say what you had for an engine and trans.

BTW: Drewbdo is mostly correct about the tire widths as well... just keep in mind that the wheel offset will determine if that extra width of the tire ends up towards the inside, outside, or divided between the two sides of the rim.

Ok, I'm running the stock v6 with a manual transmission, I need to verify which transmission it is, hell im not even sure on the year to narrow it down.

Hea buddy,

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a few photos of Funnywheels cradle with the new trailing arms attached along with a few others that my help you get this figured out.

Ok looks like it worked

Here is another one showing the trailing arms mounted to the cradle

Notice the 1.5" wheel adapters that needed to be used as well. This was to keep the OEM wheels & tires from hitting the struts.

Here is one more of just the cradle with the new trailing arms installed

[