Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Testarossa replica build

Quarter window frames continued

More quarter window

well as with any build there can be setbacks, I have been framing the quarter window frames and getting all the mock up, welding and painting done and all has been good. When I got the car the drivers side quarter glass was broken out. I searched for over a year and finally found a replacement 77-79 Cadillac Coupe Deville glass. All was good until last week, I went out to turn the heat on in the shop and went back in the house, then I went back out to the shop the quarter glass that has been in the same spot for at least 2 months was in pieces on the floor. I went back to searching online and well the glass once again is impossible to find. I have had several cars with race Polycarbonate windows from FiveStar race bodies and have always been impressed with them. I wanted glass, But at this point I have no choice. Not only will this allow me to perfectly fit the new window shape, it will make replacement if something happens possible. This car is gonna be kept inside and unless caught in the rain will be a sunny day car so I decided to build my own Polycarbonate quarter windows.
    here is the setback picture.. man I was frustrated..

Lexan Testarossa quarter windows

So I made templates for the frames left and right, and transferred the pattern to the lexan. I then marked out for the window opening and traced the pattern in the protective film. I cut and removed the film and painted the rear of the window.I like them and I will be able to use smaller trim oround the outside and that will be way better then the thick stuff that was used before.

Let me start with your work is impeccable.
    But if you were going to make the side windows from lexan, why didn't you size them to the window instead of the Cadillac size? Or am i totally missing something?

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

hey Bob, thanks for looking at the build. doing the lexan I did shape it to the exact size i wanted. The benefit of using the cadillac glass was that it was glass, even then it didnt have the perfect shape. the windows leaked and the gaps were covered with 1 inch and 2 inch trip to hide the gaps. With the lexan I was able to make the template to the exact opening size. With this I can use more correct 1/2 inch trim around the outside of the window. notice the gap on the glass between the side glass post and at the top of the frame. then see the lexan has been fitted flush to make a much cleaner look. I am not going to install the lexan until the final assembly as to not damage it during bodywork and paint.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great, and the fact that you could shape it to the contours better is a good reason (didn't know the Cadillac glass wasn't perfect). I was just wondering why you made the overhangs that drop into the body instead of fitting it to the body lines.

Bob

ahh I see what part your asking about, The metal window frames were already welded into place when the glass broke. Also the inside of the quarter panel does not have space to allow the mounting frame to be any higher or closer to what would be an original style frame. When they assembled the car the inside of the quarter panel was duraglassed smooth in this area to fit flush to the glass. The good thing is that this actually makes it better on the lexan. The longer the piece is the more forgiving the material is to bend or put a curve in it, the shorter the piece is it becomes very stiff and doesn't have much flex to it. With the frames being welded in and painted I just used the whole area for my template. Once the lexan is installed with the trim molding around it will look correct to the quarter panel. also the quarter panels will sit a lot closer to it, in the pictures they are unbolted and pulled away from the work area.

Great info. Thanx for the feedback. Someday, I might try something similar, so this is all excellent reference material.

Bob

Testarossa quarter panel alignment.

I wanted to post a little update, since the quarter windows have now been made its time to start mounting and aligning the quarter panels and getting ready for body work. I have the drivers side done and now I am moving on to the passenger side. If you refer back to the first page when I first got the car you can see that the drivers door and quarter panel were terribly miss aligned, the door was almost 3/4 inch higher then the quarter panels.

Last edited by bodyman; 03-04-2019 at 09:20 AM.