Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GP's 308 Track Car Build

GP's 308 Track Car Build

Well this is actually my SECOND time posting this – I typed the whole thing online on the forum today, pressed “Post” and it went blank and told me I don’t have permission to post; then another screen offered me a re-log in option. I did, and lost the whole thing. Not happy....

So this will be somewhat condensed, the second time around.

After a lot of soul-searching I have decided to post a build thread. This is mostly due to a recent revelation I had, when I realized that a lot of very skilled guys have spent a huge amount of time documenting and posting their work and then unselfishly answering all and any questions. In this way, they have helped countless guys, even if sometimes it was to help them decide to not do .. something.

So first things first, my thanks to guys like fieroguru, bloozberry, mender, yarmouth fiero, Ryan, Don and Wayne and a bunch of others, all of whom have inspired and/or helped me with my project. Their work represents immeasurable work for me, and I really appreciate the time they have saved me! I can only hope to try to imitate the workmanship and skill of fieroguru, bloozberry and mender, and the same for the fiberglassing, so my thread – which will intentionally include mistakes – is hopefully to help someone who has issues similar to my particular challenges.

This project has been around so long that there are pictures of it in caves in southern France. Unfortunately I am in those drawings too... sigh... and it has gone thru a lot of permutations. Most recently, it was intended to be a Chump Series race car, but it was banned by the officials as it didn’t have its original body panels on it. Oh, well. In the process, it was ravaged by the rabid pack of hounds that was our race team, and now it is pretty rough...

My goals: to make it a street legal track car, and look ‘something’ like a cross between a 308 and a 288 GTO – I love the GTO but am not going to try the whole thing, at least this time. I have a wide body kit for the rear which I will install. I am sourcing a kit for the front now, so I will have a suitably wide front too. I am in line to get some custom driveline parts later this year and that will be most of it! The car is not intended to be for creature comfort; it will be rough and hard to spend time in, but that is ok – it is not a tourer. I have a reasonably well equipped, fairly large single car garage and it is heated enough to do mechanical work or fabricating in the winter. I already have most of the things I need now. And then my last goal for this one is to drive it at some tracks then put it up for sale. THEN.... I will look to a next project; a longitudinal engine/trans in some kind of kit. I really, really like the 288 GTO lines and that might become project No 2...

Specific Targets:
    To improve the quality of my craftsmanship! I ‘use ta could’ weld and need to work on my technique...be a lot fussier. To use good engineering principles (chassis design); to PLAN the frame and suspension mods and not just ‘make them fit’ – in this, I have the luxury of extra space - mostly width to build within, so I will take advantage of that. Little or no bumpsteer, front or rear; to have the lowest possible migration of the static-to-dynamic moment centre from neutral to extreme cornering attitude; to plan around a maximum body roll of 6 degrees; a cradle to ground clearance of 4” (depends on LCA angle); hopefully a front and rear suspension that do the same thing!! Lowest practicable C of G; this will still be a street driven car so it can’t be too low... ; most likely will have inboard shocks at the rear with pushrods, AKA Bloozberry’s setup – the fat rear tires make it difficult to mount shocks; to use as many stock (ie GM or OEM) parts as possible and to record them in a maintenance manual for a future owner. Any consumables should be easy to source; strictly race items will not be used unless unavoidable.
    Overall, I want to beat the Ferrari 288’s performance specs!

Specs and parts:
    I have and intend to use the following;
    LS4 (I am porting and polishing the heads now); will get a cam recommendation and install other parts (largely based on fieroguru’s setup) cam, springs, LS2 oil pump; LS2 intake and injectors, LS7 exh manifolds (works of art!) Goal is 425 WHP and a reliable source suggests it is doable;
    F40 6 spd from a G6; will need cables and shift brackets at the trans; custom flywheel (hopefully later this year) special clutch;
    Big brakes (have them) and street legal OEM calipers on the rear (with ebrake); 315/35/17 Nitto NT05 tires on 17x10.5 rims; 235/45/17’s on 17x9 rims front;
    Adjustable coil over shocks all round (although I am guessing the fronts will be too short – unless I can do some imaginative mounts for them;
    Alum rad 26x19; new; fits between front frame spars;
    Reasonably well equipped garage; AutoCAD for drawing; lots of misc parts that I can’t even think of right now.

First challenge:
    To get the front and rear out-to-out measurements from fender lip to fender lip so I can start drawing backward to the frame. Then do the same for the rear. I don’t intend to stretch the cradle or frame, but if necessary, I will.

To learn about frame and suspension design so I can plot my moment centres and track how it moves when the car leans thru a curve. My main reference book is Bob Bolles “Advanced Race Car Chassis Technology” although I had to think about it. He discourages rear sway bars, saying they address other chassis problems, while Herb Adams promoted 1-1/4” front and 1” rear bars on his fiero race car. I also have, and have read, Fred Puhn’s book “How to Make Your Car Handle” as well as the other two but will generally stick with Bob Bolles’ book. There is good info in all three.
    Pix will follow; to show you how much punishment I am in for. I also have to avoid getting ‘logged off’ by the forum administrators!

I look forward to all and any comments, suggestions or pointers. The only thing I DON”T want is for someone to start telling me I should do the 288 build now. Every time the thought is in the same hemisphere, I go into suspended animation for about an hour till I finally come out of it... (thanks, Wayne ;-) ) like happened as recently as today.

NOPE I am sticking with the build as defined and the NEXT one will be the really nice finish etc. So that is the only topic that is off limits.

Lastly, the first part will go slowly. Maybe other parts too; family, work and life call all the time. I have to do a lot of measuring and drawing so that will be invisible; WITHOUT the attendant reading/learning chassis design! On the other hand, I hope to have it moving under its own power within 2 yrs. My budget for what I have/want to do is about $10K and I think that is reasonable right now. I’ll see!
    So I hope this helps someone in some fashion!
    GP

Name:  Rt side view.JPG
Views: 1157
Size:  155.6 KB
    trying this for photo final size.... this is the car as it sits today.

Name:  rear end view.JPG
Views: 1160
Size:  150.4 KBName:  left fr view.JPG
Views: 1266
Size:  149.6 KBName:  left rear view.JPG
Views: 1189
Size:  116.4 KBName:  hood vent.JPG
Views: 1157
Size:  116.6 KB
    some existing conditions. Yup; needs work. But body/appearance is last on my list.

Name:  dash view.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  137.8 KBName:  engine comp Rt.JPG
Views: 1261
Size:  121.3 KBName:  inside pass dr.JPG
Views: 1150
Size:  116.3 KBName:  inside.JPG
Views: 1254
Size:  152.1 KB
    what did I say? Yup, needs work? That's ok; almost all the interior (gauges and wiring especially) will be going directly into the race car (87 fiero in the garage at the moment..)

The eagle-eyed will notice that the rear shock towers are gone; that is ok, actually; I really doubt I could have made them work with what I want to do (the rear will eventually be 'about' 5 to 6" wider.. PER SIDE. I want to take advantage of that space. No wheel spacers in this one.

Name:  Frame sep 1.JPG
Views: 1262
Size:  115.5 KB
    Frame and body panel is separating at the rear (both sides). To be welded.
    Last edited by 85-308; 05-10-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Name:  view RR.JPG
Views: 1269
Size:  134.9 KBName:  flare rear view.JPG
Views: 1140
Size:  117.2 KBName:  RR with flare.JPG
Views: 1231
Size:  119.4 KB
    here are some pix to show how the rear widebody kit will look. That is the 335/35/17 tire on the car, but with stock length LCA's right now. I can move it out another 3-4".. depending on how the final fit is for the flare.

That's it for now; I have built up an 8 ft 'caliper' out of two 4 ft drywall squares and made some 'sliders' to lock them together. I'll use that to measure the various mounting points on the frame; side to side and front to back etc. Then measure my calipers indicated distance. I have detailed dwgs from Bloozberry for the 88 cradle and am thinking I will mimic that but with the width I want. It will ultimately depend on how the suspension (and thus connection points) perform. That will be the final word on anything.
    GP

Will be watching this one closely. You are in good company, judging by the people you say helped inspire you, just going on first impressions, and "gut" feelings, I'd say this is going to be a class "A" build.

My stomach is turning and I'm a little light headed realizing that the body kit you're starting with appears to be a Stinger kit? Don't happen to know where there's anymore do you?LOL

Those rear flares look awful familiar too for some reason! Didn't happen to get a set of matching rockers (such as there were) with them did you?

I could be dead wrong on all of my assertions, doesn't really matter, just letting you know, I for one will be watching, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Your taking the time and trouble to document, record and post your build is greatly appreciated.

Staying tuned!Name:  beersmilie.gif
Views: 1134
Size:  1.4 KB

That's a big splash. Welcome to the madness.

Blooze would know for sure, but I think you're right, TDW. That looks like a Stinger. At least it looks different enough from mine to question it.

I'm definitely looking forward to watching this one. Good luck.

Any thoughts on the drive train??

Bob

RCR's body mods... - Pennock's Fiero Forum
    Last edited by RCR; 05-11-2015 at 06:19 AM.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif