Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO scratch build

I'm sure it's going to look great. The correct, original red for the competition cars in 1962 from Ferrari is called Rosso Corsa. It sounds like you went with the more accurate color for competition. Of course the "right" choice is whatever color you want
    The competition color is brighter, almost a hint of orange to it, while still being red.

The only 250 GTO that went with the deeper red (Rosso Cino) is #3527, which is also the only one with roll up windows and a full interior. It has spent some of its life painted Rosso Corsa, but was originally Rosso Cina. Here it is: http://www.tmbartmetal.com/images/pr...-home/gto3.jpg

Here's the competition color of Rossa Corsa. It does look a lot darker in the right lighting, but is brighter than Rosso Cina: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/n2j8ElGBzTU/maxresdefault.jpg

IKAROS,
    I know a few owners of original 250 GTOs, and have studied every detail of the cars, built a few replicas, and own several original Ferraris. I am friends with a few Ferrari historians and trust their word (combined with dozens of websites confirming) that the official name of the original color is "Rosso Corsa." The link you posted is not a Ferrari fanatic, it's an artist, who, while talented, I assume is simply misinformed. I could paste a dozen links in here backing me up on this, but to me that would just be rude, which isn't my intent here at all.
    Last edited by chelle; 02-11-2018 at 12:41 PM.

I was misinformed & I wanted to be sure about the color.Now thanks to you Chelle i know for sure...
    Of course Joel's 250GTO is & will be an awesome car....

Hey Chelle, good to see that you havent forgotten us LOL

What weatherstrip is that you are using on rear glass?

I was hoping i wasn't coming across wrong!

How have you been Adrian? It has been like 10 years since I was posting.. still have my V12, red car, and building another.. projects never seem to end.

Joel, are you going vintage racer themed interior, period GT, or more modern, supercar?

Quote Originally Posted by bgullatt View Post
    What weatherstrip is that you are using on rear glass?
    I plan to use this: https://www.steelerubber.com/master-...ion-70-0587-99 and am hoping this lock strip will work with it: https://www.steelerubber.com/locking...rom-70-3425-52 The GTO originally had a nice, wide aluminum strip covering the windshield seal. If the strip I can buy doesn't look good or won't work for some reason, I'll probably have to make one from aluminum. I'm hoping to avoid that though.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be scared of being bold!

Originally Posted by chelle
    Joel, are you going vintage racer themed interior, period GT, or more modern, supercar?

I don't know what to call the interior style, "quilted aluminum?" I plan to just keep it polished and probably will add some carpet on the floor only in the footbox areas. The dash will be done in wrinkle black but the rest just polished.

Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be scared of being bold!

looking so amazing... you do such good work.. Your interior is stunning... please dont cover over your beautiful hand work.

Awesome work, Joel! Thanks for sharing!

It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr