Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO scratch build

Looks amazing Joel;

You are building yourself quite the nice stable in your garage.....

Looking forward to seeing updates.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

WOW....nothing short of "breathtaking"!

Looking forward to seeing it come together and first test drive.

Absolutely beautiful work. Thanks for sharing your build and experience.

She's gorgeous, Joel. bravo...

bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Why do I get the whole Ferris Bueller thing playing in my head going... never place this in a glass room and go on vacation. lol I know it's not the same car. Just has that look. But boy oh boy is this an absolutely beautiful work of art my friend. Well done. Well done indeed.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Wow! You're going to have quite the "stable" once your Miura is done!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Looks amazing Joel;

You are building yourself quite the nice stable in your garage.....

Looking forward to seeing updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBurton View Post
    one word.....

BRAVO!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TDW View Post
    WOW....nothing short of "breathtaking"!

Looking forward to seeing it come together and first test drive.

Absolutely beautiful work. Thanks for sharing your build and experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by RCR View Post
    She's gorgeous, Joel. bravo...

bob
    Quote Originally Posted by G35Mike View Post
    Why do I get the whole Ferris Bueller thing playing in my head going... never place this in a glass room and go on vacation. lol I know it's not the same car. Just has that look. But boy oh boy is this an absolutely beautiful work of art my friend. Well done. Well done indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 275NART View Post
    Wow! You're going to have quite the "stable" once your Miura is done!
    Thanks for the praise. It's getting close enough to being drivable that I'm getting anxious now!
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

That is some very impressive work. I remember you writing that the car is about 6" wider than stock, and that you were worried it might be difficult not to "screw it up". Well I think you can put that worry to bed.

An interesting story: I have a Fiero-based 308 replica that isn't one of the common Mera/Fejer based kits but rather one of about 20 or so that were molded in the Montreal area from an authentic car. It is very realistic, except that it's about 3" wider than stock to fit over the Fiero chassis. About three years ago I met a guy with an authentic 308 who asked if I'd like to go to a car show with him... we'd each bring our own cars. He's never asked for a repeat. The replica being wider, and lower, and with far better paint got the lion's share of attention because the real thing parked next to it looked underwhelming. I think I changed a fair number of people's opinions regarding replicas that day.

Likewise, you can be very proud to have crafted that car from scratch. You'll still have people knocking on the bodywork to see if it's fibreglass, and others who will be amazed to see it, then abruptly walk away when they realize it's a replica, and still others who'll call it a pig with lipstick. Just tell them that a pig with lipstick is still better than a donkey without a brain.

Looking forward to seeing the details.

Amazing work!

Post Gas cap and binnacle

You might think that after paint the final assembly would move along quickly. Well, not only do you have to be very careful not to damage the paint, almost all the items involved in the final assembly need to be finished up themselves. So progress has been slow but steady.

The gas cap for this car is very uniquely vintage Ferrari so I couldn’t just buy a pre-finished one because they just aren’t available for purchase. I did find a raw casting for the outer cap, had to machine up a latch and had to build the rest from scavenged Cobra gas cap parts. After putting the pieces together, lots of sanding and metal polishing the outer cap, here’s the result.

I had previously metal shaped the binnacle and dash from sheet aluminum so the dashboard was good to go except for the final wrinkle black finish. I’d been given a recommendation to have it done in powder coat instead of paint. I went with wrinkle black powder coat and it turned out great. The powder coating was pricey but should be more durable. In addition, while it definitely has a wrinkle finish, the winkle is low profile enough that it looks to be more cleanable than wrinkle paint.

Here it is with the instruments and indicator lights installed…

The door and side window assembly is next…
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!