Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO scratch build

Post GTO Hood Stays and Seats

Progress on the GTO assembly is plodding on. I can say this, I love the look of polished metal but Iím really starting to dread the process. Itís very time consuming and detail oriented. All it takes is one little slip while buffing and youíve made another scratch to polish out.

The hood stays/catches on the GTO are very Ö well Italian looking. Unlike most cars where the hood catches are underneath and not visible, the Ferrari cars of early vintage used external stays.

I made these using 304 SS and yes, thereís a few hours of polishing involved for each one For the nooks and crannies on these, I had to break out the Dremel for polishing. The original GTO also used leather belts as hood fasteners but I decided to forgo those.

For seats, I had originally purchased a set of high back Monaco brand seats. This seemed logical as they offered great side bolster and head support for performance driving and all the right slots for a 5 point racing belts.

After getting the car painted, they just didnít look right though. It took me some time to figure out why, but then Frank Zucchi the painter one day commented that the seats didnít have the right period correct look. That was it, the Monaco seats would look great in a car from 80ís or 90ís but not the 60ís. I donít like the blue cloth racing seats originally used in the GTO so I decided to go with a simple, period correct looking low back seat made by Cobra.

For installation, I had to custom fabricate a seat bracket to connect the seat adjustment tracks to the car frame. Wanting to keep the seats as low as possible, I used a combination of 5/8Ē and ĹĒ square tube to make the brackets.

A great side benefit to the new seats, is more leg room and easier entry/exit from the car. The seat backs are thinner so the seats can be positioned further back. They also donít have the large side bolsters so itís easier to get in and out of them.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

absolutely beautiful work, just stunning. In so many ways i feel like your car is being built better than Ferrari ever thought about building them from the factory..

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman View Post
    absolutely beautiful work, just stunning. In so many ways i feel like your car is being built better than Ferrari ever thought about building them from the factory..
    I could not agree with you more.

Amazing work. I absolutely love seeing your updates. This is one of my favorite builds to follow. Your car is simply a work of art.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G35Mike View Post
    I could not agree with you more.

Amazing work. I absolutely love seeing your updates. This is one of my favorite builds to follow. Your car is simply a work of art.
    Thanks for following and for your kinds words.
    Joel Heinke

Post More GTO eye candy

Iíve added more eye candy Ö ah, important exterior items to the GTO. On the original GTO, these small plexiglass hood scoops helped bring fresh air into the carís interior. I decided to have them blow fresh air over the headers to help dissipate heat from entering the footboxes.

To make these, I metal shaped an aluminum form and had the plexiglass vacuum formed over it.

The original GTOís had Marchal driving lights frenched on both sides of the grill opening. Given Marchal lights are rare and thus way overpriced, hereís my replication using cheap aftermarket halogen lights.

The nice cast aluminum rings were obtained from a good friend, John Washington Velo Rossa driving lights . I had to fabricate some spacers from ľĒ aluminum for the backsides to mount the lights and hopefully keep them water tight.
    Joel Heinke

Its really beginning to shape up now. Out of curiosity only I ask... I know you metal stamped your interior a bit, but were you planning on closing off the interior to the trunk at some point or were you planning on leaving it open as is?
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr