Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO scratch build

Absolutely stunning craftsmanship!

Post Headliner panels

In preparation for getting the headliner fabric installed, I had to fabricate a few panels to hide the side window pockets and thus smooth the surface for the headliner. On the GTO, the side window frames are located within an inset pocket so the outside of the frame is flush with the surrounding body surface. The pocket is about an inch deep.

In addition, I wanted the headliner to cover the area above the rear wheels from the rear window sides down to the interior panels covering the wheel houses.

I didnít think I could get a single panel installed around the roll cage so I did it in two panels shaped in 3003 .040 aluminum.

The panel above the side window meets the roof above the roll cage which should hide any seam.

The panel in the rear hides the rivets for the panel below it and provides a nice finish line between the headliner and interior.

Just installing these panels really cleans up the interior. Now the GTO is going off to the upholstery shop to get the headliner itself installed.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

so awesome..you do amazing metal work.

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman View Post

Couldn't agree more. It's an amazing car that just keeps on looking more stunning with each update.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G35Mike View Post
    Couldn't agree more. It's an amazing car that just keeps on looking more stunning with each update.
    Thanks for the kind words
    Joel Heinke

Post Kick panel speaker mount

The last unfinished GTO interior panel was on the outside of the foot boxes and I believe is called a kick panel. I had held off in making this panel because itís where I wanted to mount front stereo speakers and I was waiting until I had the speakers in hand. Thereís only 1 ĹĒ depth to work with so this limited the speaker selection.

I decided to make the kick panel from 3003 .050 aluminum sheet like the panels next to it. To minimize the chance the speaker magnet would rattle on the panel behind it, I decided to raise the speaker mount area by 3/16Ē. The bead roller with step rolls made quick work for this.

To further stabilize the speaker, I made a secondary bracket, mounting it to a chassis tube. Riv-nuts were used for speaker mounting screws to fasten into so the two panels would sandwich together behind the speaker.

Completed kick panel.

Test fit for kick panel with speaker mounted in place.

Once I pull the poly coating, polish it up, and hook up the speakers, it will be time to rock ín roll!
    Joel Heinke

Post More Interior Stuff

Iíve made some progress in finishing up some odds and ends on the GTO interior. On a prior post, I showed fabrication of panels in preparation for the headliner install. The Pearl Grey headliner cloth is now in place and turned out great. The headliner was done Alcantara cloth that looks very much like suede leather.

The parking brake mechanism was exposed and while totally functional didnít look finished enough.

So I made a cover for both the lever mechanism and the cables. Once polished, it blends right in with the rest of the interior.

And lastly, the dash is now powder coated, all assembled and in place. The coating is wrinkle black powder coat. The wrinkle is uniform, noticeable, but not so heavy as to make it hard to clean.

The speedometer is the only gauge not yet working. Itís electronic and Iím hoping the signal from the C5 transaxle can drive it. I wonít be able to figure that out until I can drive the car on the street and attempt to calibrate it.

The last item needed prior to having the GTO drivable is the windshield. I wasnít having any luck in cutting the glass myself so I turned to a ďprofessionalĒ. Well, it turns out it wasnít just me as his first two tries ended up with cracked glass. Iím hoping the third time's a charm.
    Joel Heinke

I absolutely love how it has all come together thus far. The headliner looks smooth and blinds in nicely adding a bit of refinement to the roof. The hill break cover, magnificent work there and the dash powder coat is clean and adds a great contrast to the over all polished and stamped metal interior. I too cant wait to see this all buttoned up. Th whole car is a masterpiece. Truly a work of art. I simply cannot say enough good things about the machine you have constructed. I can only dream of being able to have my own kit made to the craftsmanship level yours has achieved. I know on here it all looks effortless and I also know that is FAR from the truth of the matter, but honestly, the end of this build and the updates I have so become accustomed to seeing on occasion is nothing short of bittersweet. Well done and I look forward to the finish line.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr