Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO scratch build

Tried to post some update pics but am having problems. Will post them once it's figured out.
    Joel Heinke
    (Classic Roadsters Cobra, Ferrari 250GTO under construction)

Use the photobucket app
    It lets you paste pics from your phone into your replies here
    Just copy and paste the IMG links they provide into your reply here

First thing you have to do is create an account with PhotoBucket or another site that offers the option to upload images (ImageShack, Flickr etc. do the same - choose one you like best).
    In this case I'll use PhotoBucket as an example.

In PhotoBucket you create an account in just two steps:
    Go to http://photobucket.com/ and on the top you find a sign up button:

Fill it in and when you have created your account enter your username + password and if you're working on your own computer you can choose 'remember me', so you won't have to login again and again

Click 'sign me up' and if the name you wanted isn't already taken,you get to a screen where you can get a paid account or a free account.

Click 'no thanks' to get a free account.

Then you get asked what settings you like for your default folder.
    And you're done

When you're logged in you have an option to choose which files (images you want to upload).
    Just click the green button and a browser window opens and you can select the files you want to upload.
    You can select multiple files at once - But it does make the upload slower.

Clicking on ok gives an option to browse to the file on your computer.

And voila you should see your file appear

When uploaded you're guided to a page with options to add remarks etc.
    I never use them, but if you use it for build pictures it might be handy.

Click 'go to album' at the right or click save if you've made changes and you're guided back to thumbnails of your images.

When you hover over the thumbnail there appear several options.

Choose 'IMG code'. Rightclick on the link and choose 'copy'. If you are doing it on an iPad, you will see the different code options at the side of the screen (see below).

Go to your post on the forum and paste the code you just copied into the textbox.

Once you post has been posted onto the forum, your image should appear

Here is an excerpt from an earlier post I wrote on this:
    If you want to load just a single picture, go to your photobucket album, click on the picture you want

Copy the code in the IMG area

And paste into the forum text

It all sounds complicated, but the hardest thing really is thinking up the user name and password!

Edit: there are some options you might want to take a look at in Photobucket.

You might want to change your privacysettings. You find them when you go to 'home' > 'account settings'.
    Last edited by MunkyKing; 01-16-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Thanks to Redline for letting me use images of his cool fiero!

I don't know if the site still does it, but for a "small" donation, one is given photo posting rights. That's much better than outside host services. When using a host service, eventually the pics disappear, making the build thread useless. Look at ncrazyballa's technical thread on carving foam as an example.

You have way too much great content to lose it.

Bob

edit: Although it now looks like I'm having an issue using the image poster on this site... Where's the Admin???
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Even if you donate , the upload function on this site doesn't always work

Photobucket is reliable and will host your pics forever as long as you don't delete them your self

Driver door Ė inner door frame complete

Ok, I went the Photobucket route for the pictures. Worked easy enough.

I havenít posted any GTO project updates in a long time. Iíve been working on the driverís door inner frame off and on for about 6 months now.

Well after a lot of cutting, bending, welding, head scratching, cussing and metal finishing, the inner door frame for driverís door is complete. Iím very happy with the result but not happy with the hours consumed to get here. Given this is the first door Iíve built, I learned a lot and Iím sure the passenger door will go much faster.

Outside view

Front

Back: I still need to build a cover for the latch but that should be easy

Inside view

Instead of skinning the door and finishing it out, Iím building the inner frame for the passenger door next. Iím doing that so I donít forget all the things I learned with this one.
    Joel Heinke

A gorgeous car made by an amazing craftsman.
    Bravo Joel.

Post Passenger door Ė inner door frame fabrication

First the good news, I was able to fabricate the passenger inner door frame with fewer pieces and much more rapidly than the drivers side. Thereís really no bad news as the result came out nice, even better than the drivers side, so I guess I did learn from my experience.

I did take progress pictures for this one and they are below. GTO project pace has accelerated as Iíve actually been able to focus some time on it. I arranged to take a sabbatical from work and thus have a lot more ďgarage timeĒ than previously.

The most complicated part of the inner frame is the ďZĒ shaped section at the front where the door hinges attach. On the drivers side, it took 4 pieces of sheet to build this section. So I started with a new cardboard template and with some trial and error figured out how to do it with only 2 pieces of sheet.

Hereís how it turned out once built with Al 3003 .063. I forgot to take a progress pic here so this shows it after the inner frame top and bottom sections are already welded on.

The inner frame back edge came next. The most challenging thing with this piece is that itís essentially a curved flange. I used my TM Tech air power hammer with flanging dies to form the sheet into a large curved flange.

So when forming a curved flange of this size, it ends up curving in both ways and not just one.

While it needed to curve both ways to fit the door opening, my first attempt was not quite right and off to the scrap bin it goes. For the 2nd attempt, I put less curve in the flange to start.

I then dialed it in to the door opening with a small pie cut and welded in piece at the top. The curve section at the bottom was made by cutting out a piece and welding the edges together.

Here it is installed on the door frame for a trial fit.

Iíve now made the inner frame front and back edges.

Making top and bottom pieces and connecting them all into a unified frame is what remains.
    Joel Heinke

Good to see you back at it, Joel.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Agreed, glad to hear about your being able to secure more time in the shop. Your car still looks amazing and your workmanship is impressive. Keep the updates coming and best of luck with the rest of your build.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr