Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can I use the NAERC Chassis Build for an Aventador?

There is no reason you can't build a chassis from stainless steel. See chassis from Beck 904 replica below:

I second that. I've been using stainless control arms for 25 years, no single issue. It does matter what stainless you use. Saying stainless is like saying you use aluminum....which aluminum, which stainless, many alloys available.

You could use Stainless, you could also use Unobtanium. The question is for what possible reason? And even with a reason, this will be the first build that I have ever seen with a budget like that. ....WAIT A MINUTE! You can't afford a meager $15,000 drop in the bucket for plans but you are going to build a chassis out of Stainless? What is wrong with this picture?
    Last edited by 76mx; 12-01-2016 at 03:48 PM.

I was just going along with the joke but Bobi himself just announced on Lamboclone the price for his plans is 15,000 Euros, almost $16,000 U.S. Dollars. I wonder how much an actual chassis is from him?

Hi, some info regarding the stainless. I have a friend who owns a welding company for 30 years and they do mainly petro chemical industries and food, He offloaded more than what i am going to need in stainless steel for the project. So in other words i am not paying he gave it for free. He also wants me to tig weld and not mig. Do not worry i will post pics in the near future.

did he finished his plans ? last thing a read was that he was changing tube here and tube there then recalculating everything and figuring out different steering and suspension geometry.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I don't know why all of the uproar about stainless. It is only about 4 times the cost of mild steel, sometimes less. And you will not have to paint the chassis when you are done. I own other businesses and we use stainless a lot, it's not a big deal. But yes please tig and purge the back of the weld.

I am familiar with chassis material selection and their properties. I understand the difference between strong and tough when it comes to this selection. I get why a Top Fuel Dragster is built from Chrommolly and a Nascar Sprint Cup Car is mild steel, both for good reasons. Thinking that I had missed something regarding the possibility of Stainless as a chassis material, I did a quick check. Every machineable and weldable alloy of stainless stress hardens with cold work, meaning that the constant subtle flexing of a chassis makes it harden and shear. I would rethink that Stainless chassis and now understand the problems that the guy in Cutlass's post is having. I can also understand why something like Bartman's control arms would not be subject to that, but I am curious about the original material selection. Bartman?

It is no secret that Bobi and I have constant differences, but in his defense, I do not think that chassis plans are ever finished. Hopefully he has gotten them far enough along to build a working prototype and actually test that "Wiggle Worm Train" front a-arm geometry, instead of just a computer simulation. I suppose they are $16,000 finished.

Bartman, your Post was made while I was writing mine. The other business using it explains the original material selection. Free is always a good price. Thanks.
    Last edited by 76mx; 12-02-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Stainless chassis Healy built in Cape Town

Frind of mine is the fabricator here at this company.

https://woodleyhealey.com/gallery/

My only point was people were attacking the poster for wanting to use stainless for a chassis and there is no real reason if planned and engineered properly. Stainless does not work harden/fatigue harden/cyclic deformation as bad as aluminum. Aluminum is one of the worst performers in that respect, yet many have designed successful chassis with it. Look how nice yours and RCR's chassis are. I'd ride in one without any hesitation. A stainless chassis could be too if proper design in used. On to the control arms. Control arms flex, they are under a lot of stress. Anyway there are many manufacturers of stainless control arms from Heidts to TCI. I used to buy them but pricing has gone higher and higher. If I don't have time to fabricate I buy them but if we fabricate them we use plain old 304. I'm not sure what the others use. 304 has properties closest to mild steel and does not require heat treatment after fabrication to improve the physical properties like 410 or 17-4. 304 does NOT have the exact same properties as mild steel of coarse but closer than most stainless. Every material has some pros and cons. Stainless is used in pressure piping and pressure vessels in industry, there is a lot of technical data available. I still use mild steel on my chassis, too many pros, not enough cons. BUT we were talking about "his" free stainless. My input, study stainless properties closely, ask your buddy the fabricator for some advise and go for it.