Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: LP 400 Build

Since we have been talking wheels on this thread - these wheels are off a late 70s Ford Fairmont GXL (Australian Made Car) and are very close to the LP400. They are 14x6.

(Hope the file upload works...)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Its great that you've got the wheels you are going to use at this stage while you are still finalising chassis and body. I find that the wheel size and position in the wheel arch is absolutely crucial to the car having the right stance. It makes the difference between something that looks right and something that doesn't.
    As for upsizing an original wheel via CAD - I think that in terms of looks you have to be very careful. There are repro Ferrari Dino wheels on the superformance.co.uk website, for example in original 14" and modern 16" size. On the car the new ones look OK but just not quite right.
    The Falcon wheels are very Italianate but too narrow for a Countach's rear.
    cheers
    Ross in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by luke.jenner View Post
    Since we have been talking wheels on this thread - these wheels are off a late 70s Ford Fairmont GXL (Australian Made Car) and are very close to the LP400. They are 14x6.

(Hope the file upload works...)
    That's a nice find Luke. Do you know the pcd/bolt pattern?

K9

Quote Originally Posted by rossnzwpi View Post
    Its great that you've got the wheels you are going to use at this stage while you are still finalising chassis and body. I find that the wheel size and position in the wheel arch is absolutely crucial to the car having the right stance. It makes the difference between something that looks right and something that doesn't.
    As for upsizing an original wheel via CAD - I think that in terms of looks you have to be very careful. There are repro Ferrari Dino wheels on the superformance.co.uk website, for example in original 14" and modern 16" size. On the car the new ones look OK but just not quite right.
    The Falcon wheels are very Italianate but too narrow for a Countach's rear.
    cheers
    Ross in NZ

I hear ya Ross, and we were very wary of that. It took a lot to get the holes and stuff right, but I think they came out OK:

K9

K9Cop, the Fairmont Wheels are 5x4.5" pcd. Of course there are many companies that make adapter plates if you have the width to install them.

rossnzwpi, these could be used for Countach rears (I know the original lp400 rears were 14x7.5), as the Michelin site shows that 215/70 vr 14 tyres as suitable for 6" wheels.

Hey K9,
    What are your plans for those phone dial 3d models ...plan to offer cast wheels for countach builds?

Quote Originally Posted by wbnemo1 View Post
    Hey K9,
    What are your plans for those phone dial 3d models ...plan to offer cast wheels for countach builds?
    Yes. Those are 17" and are intended partially to be either cast one piece or made as a blind two piece wheel (no visible join) and partially for the hell of it.

Honestly, with the door glass project I'm splitting with Don, and my 'random bits of plastic that I think look like Countach parts' (thanks for that Metro) I'm pretty busy with CT stuff already, so the 17's can wait for a bit. My intention was just to have a set of track day wheels to protect my OEM Diablo wheels when I'm at the track with the car... if it ever gets finished...

K9

Quote Originally Posted by wbnemo1 View Post
    Hey K9,
    I'm also looking strongly at having the files 'cut down' to make accurate 'hubcaps' to go on to steel wheels. I've found a company over here that can make/alter the (steel) wheels, so just need to decide on a production method for the caps. I've got a set of the existing fibreglass hub caps, but they're not great, and they're only 15"

K9

Quote Originally Posted by K9COP View Post
    I'm also looking strongly at having the files 'cut down' to make accurate 'hubcaps' to go on to steel wheels. I've found a company over here that can make/alter the (steel) wheels, so just need to decide on a production method for the caps. I've got a set of the existing fibreglass hub caps, but they're not great, and they're only 15"

K9
    the "hubcap" idea would work well if you can get the depth of the dish right. I made some for a Ferrari Dino by taking a mould from a genuine wheel. I looked at those Ford XC wheels when I was thinking of a Dino replica - they are 6" or 7" wide x 14". The LP400 Countach is 7.5x14 in the front and 9.5x14 in the rear. I think the depth of the wheel, not just the width is a big part of the look too.

zagato750gt i have sent you a PM