Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Aldino Spider

Finally a warm sunny day in Maine and there is work to get done! Today's project remove the old clutch / brake pedal assembly. All fiero's are set up to be ether a standard or automatic. I have never done a conversion ether way. A lot tougher job than I thought . . . . . . The pedal assemble must be install at the beginning of the factory assembly line. Took most of the day, but I won!

Red arrow pointing at sawed off clutch pedal.

Got it out, was easier once I separated the clutch assembly from the brake assembly.

An automatic brake assembly I purchased on eBay installed.

Also put a cover over the clutch hole.

Last edited by mera308gts; Yesterday at 07:56 PM.

Todays project, remove the old remote entry system. No manufacture name or the transmitter from previous owner and it was located by my feet!

The hard part was removing all the tangled wires and restoring the car functions back to normal. I just don't like a bunch of energized wires that don't do anything. I did hard wire the door poppers since there are no door handles on this car. A new state of the art remote entry system will be install in the future.

The wiring in your car has made me cringe. Coming from a wiring and electronics background with installations in cop cars, yours is by far not the worst I have seen but it drives my OCD nuts! So glad your cleaning things up. everything you touch on your car seems to beautify before our eyes. Can't tell you how cool it is to know this car is being treated properly now. Keep up the great work.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

I love Robs interior kits. I put one in my AD355. I have been in talks with him about this car but I am still on the fence as I am wanting to keep my Mera semi stock. But his interiors make the car seem so exotic and highend.

Its funny you were ripping out your entry system, that is exactly what I was doing all morning. I removed an overly complex alarm system with tons of features and replaced it with a simple keyless entry system. Since my dash was out wiring it in was a breeze and I was able to heat srink all the conections and mount the box way up high out of the way. All the system does is unlock and lock the doors and flash the parking lights. I hate the Fiero 2 key system so this will allow me to just carry one key and a fob (and a hidden backup door key in event of a failure).

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see the interior go in.

Ok, sunny and warm is great for getting car work done, but 95 degrees is too hot for southern Maine!! So just a few quick items off the To Do List today.

Removed the air filter and moved the Buick computer over for a better look, and sure enough all the original C203 wire harness is all rolled up with wire ties between the firewall and the 3800. Previous owner must have wanted to keep all the options open . . . . . .

First thing spotted was the other end of the old hydraulic clutch system still there, now removed.

Best picture I could get, but all the C203 wire harness is in there.

There are days where dropping the cradle would be my best option . . . . . .

I will need to get the C203 wire harness out, unwrap it and start sorting wires. I have all the GMtuners.com downloads for my engine and transmission. Please those pros out there chime in!!

G35Mike, you like wiring? Well I'm going to make the new 3800 wiring harness while the original Buick harness is still plugged in!

DeLorean00, That's funny you also working on the remote entry system today and yes I can't wait to install the new interior!

While the wife was shopping for outdoor flowers . . . . . . . I decided to remove the unsightly body stiffing bar from the top of the rear hatch behind the convertible top and install it on the inside of the panel.

Here is what supposed to be there the Mid-Section Support Bracket. I can't install it now because someone cut off the Fiero rear hatch hinge mount on the passenger side.

Here is the previous owner's stiffening bar on top.

Now on the inside of the panel secured with countersunk cap screws with nylock nuts.

Will look even better after the body shop.

You are going to build this car the way it should have been built the first time.

Honest question, did you know the car was in this condition when you bought it or was it a surprise?

Yes I did know, some surprises but for what I paid, I could not purchase the Fiero, re enforce the chassis, cut the roof off, install the 3800 setup, purchase the Aldino kit and than modify the body into a convertible. Aldino never offered a convertible so a big attraction was owning the one of a kind! It's my hobby so I am enjoying learning and attending to every detail on the car. In my mind I can see the goal but no shortcuts, I want it done right. I'm puttering right now as I workout in my mind how to make the rear deck vents. Once that is done, it is on to the body/paint shop, then the real fun stuff!
    Last edited by mera308gts; 05-20-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mera308gts View Post
    Yes I did know, some surprises but for what I paid, I could not purchase the Fiero, re enforce the chassis, cut the roof off, install the 3800 setup, purchase the Aldino kit and than modify the body into a convertible. Aldino never offered a convertible so a big attraction was owning the one of a kind! It's my hobby so I am enjoying learning and attending to every detail on the car. In my mind I can see the goal but no shortcuts, I want it done right. I'm puttering right now as I workout in my mind how to make the rear deck vents. Once that is done, it is on to the body/paint shop, then the real fun stuff!
    You and I are very similar. I don't want to buy a finished car, I want to finish it myself. As you can see with my Mera I had an almost finished car but I redoing it my way. I really enjoy the process when I am building the car for myself.

I love your Aldino and I hope you did not think I was criticizing it, just was shocked to see things like that clutch pedal cut off! But it is going to be amazing when you are done!

Nothing personal taken here. No one knows this car better than me now and it is a Frankenstein! I believe the Fiero chassis had been exposed to the elements for a very long time, could have been in a flood?? This car was not built from a kit but appears to be only a body acquired secondhand. From my early diggings into the car it was missing the basic kit items like front and rear body brackets etc. So clearly a lot of shortcuts have been taken, a lack of knowledge of the Aldino kit and probably no real money to do the job right by the previous owner(s). So it is what it is, a bastard but I will go through it and do my best to make her shine!