Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I build a replica or use the replica body to make my own design?

Do I build a replica or use the replica body to make my own design?

Hi Guys,

I've been on this forum for nearly 10 years. I don't post much but I do enjoy reading all the threads. Anyway I've been planning a replica build for quite some years and finally I've made a start. I'm currently 3D printing the body. Front clip is mainly done. Its going to be slow progress as plenty of other life distractions in the way but the question I'd like to put forward is do I go through with a reasonably accurate replica or do I take the 3D printed body and use it to make my own modern interpretation of it. A number of reasons are stacking up against the replica route, original parts are very hard to find, custom windscreen is nearly impossible, interior is a huge undertaking, but the main reason being is the manufacture is only 15 miles down the road from me so I don't fancy a law suit anytime soon. I'm not a expert 3D modeller, I can just make small simple changes etc, a mate has done the 3D model for me and he has no more spare time to help so the only way to make proper changes is to 3D print everything as original planned and make physical changes with either foam/filler or modelling clay. I do like the idea of a current interpretation with LED lights, bigger wheels, big rear air intakes, different front and rear bumpers (fenders for you US bods!), maybe a different windscreen. Also I want to cheat a bit when it comes to the chassis. I'm a Lotus Exige owner and I'm very familiar with their aluminium glued chassis and I will probably use one of these with a venom GT style rear engine/suspension cradle. This means I don't have to worry too much about interior and various parts.

Some might be able to guess what replica this is without me actually saying it :-)

Ideas and suggestions are most welcome or just a steer on what route you guys think I should take would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ben

I've no idea what the car is... Unless it's one you mentioned already, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works.
    I guess you have your own printer?

I would 3D print the car as is in the file(s) if you would send them to me .... ?

your panels will be warped, inaccurate and out of alignment. youll need alot of body work to get them right.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrazyballa View Post
    your panels will be warped, inaccurate and out of alignment. youll need alot of body work to get them right.
    Maybe, maybe not.

Ben, 15 miles from Woking? Nice area. Fellow Brit here. I'd be inclined to 'reinterpret' it slightly. I don't think I'd like to take Ron on in court....

Keep us posted, and thanks for sharing...

K9

I vote replica with slight modifications to windscreen surround to fit cheap donor glass.

I think this is really cool being 3D printed. Please provide more pics!

I feel this 3D printing method is the future of replication.

This method will take off once the specifics get dialed in, like a material that resists warping, cheaper large format printers so you need to print fewer pieces overall, and readily available 3D modeling SW tools that can print the pieces to fit perfectly on to whatever unibody or custom frame you want.

I see a 100% perfect replica Fforty LM in my future....
    Last edited by bowser330; 06-15-2016 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyKing View Post
    I've no idea what the car is... Unless it's one you mentioned already, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works.
    I guess you have your own printer?
    Yes I have a Ultimaker. Its been on 247 for about 8 weeks. So far I've used about 4kg reels so not too bad cost wise. Think K9COP worked it out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ncrazyballa View Post
    Should be ok. I'm going to CNC route some plywood cross member for the underside to make it all true and glass fibre them into place. I've tested some 3D panels with body filler to very good effect. Lets see how it turns out as this is the only method I have right now.
    Last edited by biggerbigben; 06-15-2016 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K9COP View Post
    Maybe, maybe not.

Ben, 15 miles from Woking? Nice area. Fellow Brit here. I'd be inclined to 'reinterpret' it slightly. I don't think I'd like to take Ron on in court....

Keep us posted, and thanks for sharing...

K9
    I think you are right. Just can't be doing with the hassle. It could look quite good updated, will get it all printed and go from there. Will do a build thread at some point in the future once I have enough to show.

Quote Originally Posted by bowser330 View Post
    I vote replica with slight modifications to windscreen surround to fit cheap donor glass.

I think this is really cool being 3D printed. Please provide more pics!

I feel this 3D printing method is the future of replication.

This method will take off once the specifics get dialed in, like a material that resists warping, cheaper large format printers so you need to print fewer pieces overall, and readily available 3D modeling SW tools that can print the pieces to fit perfectly on to whatever unibody or custom frame you want.

I see a 100% perfect replica Fforty LM in my future....
    Agreed its a bit agricultural at the moment and you need to play with settings and find your way of making the printer be reliable etc. I use a few small spots of superglue to glue down the first layer of plastic to a tape covered printer bed to stop or minimise wrapping that is a problem. Its working so far! Obviously the completed prints will need lots of work to get a nice finish to take moulds from but I don't have access to a 5 axis CNC machine, which would be required to get the equivalent detail.

Don't have many pics but here is one of the front clip (top section) complete -

Last edited by biggerbigben; 06-15-2016 at 06:27 AM.