Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vaccum forming lexan / polycarbonate then lining with carbon fiber

Ok this might be a bit off topic but if I was to try and do drape forming what would be the best material to make the mold out of? I have these tops that have an ever so slight of a curve and I am going to need to replace them on my latest project.

I have made smaller molds for acrylic from plaster of Paris (gypsum) and have heard and seen that heat pressure resistant mold for windshield has been made out of quick concrete and quick floor screed.
    Screed to make initial mold out of windshield and then structually strengthened with quick concrete.
    That's the diy way to use house industrial products and quite working, official way is to make molds for glass out of heat resisting pourable screed mixture.

For plastic tops or any other, bigger products that don't use so much heat, this would be quite an easy way, not to mention how cheap it is.
    Works for drape forming and male/female compression molds.

This has such a slight bend. Let me get a pic later to post .

Quote Originally Posted by Finguy View Post
    I have made smaller molds for acrylic from plaster of Paris (gypsum) and have heard and seen that heat pressure resistant mold for windshield has been made out of quick concrete and quick floor screed.
    Screed to make initial mold out of windshield and then structually strengthened with quick concrete.
    That's the diy way to use house industrial products and quite working, official way is to make molds for glass out of heat resisting pourable screed mixture.

For plastic tops or any other, bigger products that don't use so much heat, this would be quite an easy way, not to mention how cheap it is.
    Works for drape forming and male/female compression molds.