Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting problem following a change of igniter Fiero Testarossa V6 2.8 1986

Senior Member CHRISTOPHE de France's Avatar

Problem after change Ignition distributor Fiero Testarossa V6 2.8 1986

Hello everyone

To explain quickly.
    The overhaul of my engine was over, and I discovered a trace of oil on the ground under the car.
    The car started very well and the engine would accelerate perfectly.
    I found the origin of the leak, at the bottom of the distributor of ignition, I inquire on the Internet and understand that it is nothing serious, and that this is a frequent problem on our Fiéro. I look at the advice and the instructions of installation, I order the joint at Rodney Dickman, because it sells a joint of high quality with a diameter slightly bigger than the origin and very effective.
    I check the condition of mount distributor, it is all rusted and, is apparently original (1986), I order a new one with its module. (ICM)
    I buy the tool for the igniter screw and the specific grease for the module and the contacts.
    Everything is new: spark plugs, spark plug wires, igniter head, igniter, ignition module, ignition coil, and tachometer module.
    Everything was rested in the ruler, the pulley set, the piston of the cylinder 01 at the top.
    The spark is ok to the spark plugs, the 4 wires from the socket on the ignition module are OK to the ECM, the 2 wires from the ignition module to the ignition coil are OK.
    The petrol pump makes its normal noise for 2-3 seconds when starting the ignition key. The gasoline pressure on the ramp is ok to 40/42 PSI.
    The engine runs for 3 seconds and stops, I do not know what to do. I found nothing on the internet. When I remove the candle they are dry.
    I have the impression that my injectors do not take over after starting on the cold start injector.
    My skills in mechanics, are sum my English .... limited.

Thank you for your help, friends, because here in France, I am a little alone.

Hope to see you soon.

Christophe.

Last edited by CHRISTOPHE de France; 05-20-2017 at 03:43 AM.

Hello
    Nobody had a problem changing the ignition distributor?
    Is there a special procedure to restart the car?
    Thank you for your help.

First thing to check is to be sure you seated the new distributor correctly and not 180* opposite. (It's easy to make that mistake) If you are confident it's in the correct position be sure the cap and rotor are in fact in good condition and not missing the 'button' on the inside of the cap. It's not unusual to have a new item be defective or damaged. Let's face it the parts you have ordered probably have traveled 3/4 of the way around the world before reaching your door. If they check out, reinstall your old parts one at a time until hopefully the engine fires. I'd do the ICM first, then the coil. Also check out Pennock FIERO Forum. Use the search function (it's not the best but it might help) Last but not least, remove the candles and use spark plugs Sorry couldn't resist. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTOPHE de France View Post
    Hello
    The engine runs for 3 seconds and stops, I do not know what to do.
    Hi Christophe,

Page 6E3-B-3 of the service manual states several potential problems if you have a hard start. One of the paragraphs states: "If engine starts but then immediately stalls, disconnect the distributor bypass line (the four pin connector at the bottom of the distributor). If engine then starts and runs OK, replace the pick up coil."

Obviously your pickup coil is new, so I suspect that it's fine, just not properly connected. To check, you'll have to remove the distributor cap, and check the condition of the two thin wires (one is green and one is white) that plug into the terminals marked "P" and "N" on the back side of the module. The copper in the tiny connector often gets corroded and turns green... so you may need to clean the pins to get a good contact.

If you don't understand anything I said, I can explain it in French if you'd like.
    Last edited by Bloozberry; 05-21-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Hello Friends

Thank you for your help.
    The coil is new, the igniter cap also.
    I checked the 6 blocks + the central, they are conductor.
    I had a lighter cap in addition, so I installed it to try, identical result.
    At the ignition timing, I stalled, the big groove on the pulley on 10, in front of the graduation. The igniter finger is at cylinder 1. Cylinder 1 is at top dead center (checked).
    I handed over the old ignition distributor, handed over the old module, and the new one.
    I changed all the plugs, (2 on module, 2 on ignition coil) perfect connection, everything is new.
    The green and white wires on igniter is new.
    I was at Pennock, there is a lot of information, but I can not find any topic on a problem of injectors after distributor change.

I will continue my research with your information, thank you very much.

Thanks for all.

Hi Christophe.
    I dont really know fiero's, but all fuel injections work the same.

As Bloozberry says, a bad electrical connection will give a bad signal to the ecu
    Make sure all the vacuum pipes are good, otherwise the ecu will also not work correctly.

Otherwise, refit all your old parts, see if it still gives the same problem, if not.
    Fit the new parts one by one, you may have a faulty new part. It happens.
    Cheers Jose'

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTOPHE de France View Post
    Hello Friends
    I was at Pennock, there is a lot of information, but I can not find any topic on a problem of injectors after distributor change.
    Before chasing up a problem with the fuel system (which was working fine before the distributor change), the simplest thing is to do as I said: unplug the four pin connector at the base of the distributor and try starting the engine. If it runs, then the pick up coil is either faulty or not connected. New parts can be faulty right out of the box. You lose nothing by trying this simple 15 second test.

Thanks for your advices,
    Yes the car walked very well before the change of ignition distributor,
    With all these new pieces installed.
    Then I found this oil leak, and I wanted to take advantage of the seal change to change the distributor.
    It does not work since I changed the dispenser.
    I have disconnected the four pin connector at the base of the distributor.
    The car starts 2-3 seconds and it stops.
    I hear the gas pump
    The battery indicator lights up on the instrument panel.
    But since I started this problem, the check engine light does not turn on.
    I changed all electrical connectors (picture)

I'll put the old ignition coil back, to try.
    I will check all the all the vacuum pipes I would disassemble the plenum.
    How to test an ignition distributor?
    Otherwise I will order a new distributor.

Thank you for all steve308 ,Bloozberry, and JoseOSI.

Christophe.

Any resolution to the problem?

Is it safe to assume when you installed the new distributor you inserted the gear in the exact same position as the one you removed? Why don't you remove the spark plug from the number one cylinder and make sure it is on the top of the compression stroke. Then install the distributor pointing to the correct plug wire for the #1 cylinder. I have had a distributor that I installed one tooth off on the gear, the engine would start and then stall. The reason it stalled was the engine was out of time and the ecm was trying to compensate for the incorrect timing adjustments. Once I corrected the distributor location the engine ran perfectly.

Mike