Thread: Any Law enforcement officers, I would love your take on something

Any Law enforcement officers, I would love your take on something

My dog recently went missing and like many people who loose their pets... we began canvasing every place we could, both physically and virtually, to spread the word and try to locate our girl.

We are still looking for her but in the mix we had an issue.

I was contacted by a person claiming to have my dog. It was a text message. I responded to the message in an attempt to discuss how to recover my dog. The number associated with the text I did not realize was associated with California and soon after my response, the tide quickly turned to the person asking for money in exchange for the safe return of my dog.

I became a little suspicious and asked for them to send me a picture so I could confirm it was my dog they had, at which time he began cursing at me and alleging he did not have a camera to send me a picture.

I quickly deduced this guy was full of it and... yes not the brightest moment here... began trying to scare him into leaving me alone...

I told him he had contacted a police officer, what he was doing was illegal and he needed to stop now.

Of course, feeling untouchable, he only proceeded with his game even though any sane person would have deduced that the jig was up at this point.

He demanded the money for my dog again and when I declined, he threatened to kill my dog.

This was the point where I simply concluded the conversation back and forth but in the aftermath I was just appalled and frustrated.

I did a google search on the number and found that this person was reportedly trolling lost pet sites and Facebook pages concerning lost pets and using this same number every time to contact the owners and demand money for the safe return of their pet.

He wont meet in person, obviously, but demands the money be paid via a money gram and will provide the address where you will need to send the money. He also asks for your address or an address where you would want your animal returned to.

While I admit my missteps here of course... is there anything that can be done to stop this individual from continuing this ridiculous cycle?
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Sounds a modus. Definitely report it to trace him.

He's been reported. Kind of hope they catch him and put a boot in his rear end. He may not have fooled me... But I shutter to think how many may have actually fallen for the scumbags crappy routine.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr