Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: volvo p1800 into ferrari 275gtb spyder: v12, 5spd, tube chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Must be a torque correction thing. The work looks great. Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers
    Don
    That's the only thing I can think of. Still it's a lot of angle!

Hi 275Nart. I haven't been on the forum for a long time and just took a quick look and spotted your build. Wow. This is excellent. Your attention to detail and quality of work is really good. So looking forward to seeing future progress. Cheers Kevin

Oh wow 275Nart,this is beautiful.........nice work.

Thank you both Kevin and Flatfourfan!

I'm back from a hiatus with a much needed update. Firewall and tunnel construction

Wire wheeled the floor pans while I was in there

I made the tunnel area purposefully high to make the stabbing the engine in easier.

tight fit

To finish the firewall I'm still unsure if I want to seam weld and dress all the welds or just tack it every inch or so and neatly mask and seam seal.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 275NART View Post
    To finish the firewall I'm still unsure if I want to seam weld and dress all the welds or just tack it every inch or so and neatly mask and seam seal.
    Looking NICE!

As to the welding/finish question, have you considered rounding off the edges? This would make butt welding the pieces together (welding on near flat instead of 90 degree joints) and finishing off the welds much easier. The edges can be easily rounded with a T dolly and hammer. I think a rounded edge will also provide a more aesthetic look on the interior tunnel. Probably easier to cover with carpet as well.

I'd certainly secure all seams with more than tack welds and seam sealer. It might be overkill but I'd weld all the firewall seams. Having hot air, fumes and noise leak into the interior isn't good.

I just made some T dollies for fabricating my GTO engine covers. Pics posted on that thread. They're easy to make and use.
    Joel Heinke
    (Classic Roadsters Cobra, Ferrari 250GTO under construction)

In a bid to keep you rollin' and progress being made we can all follow ....and enjoy , a couple of thoughts before final welding would be to use a bead roller and roll a 'T' or 'X' shape across each of those panels ...similar to the panel just visible at the base of the 'A' pillar and possibly lining up with the floorpan pressings.This would greatly stiffen the panels and avoid any tension across the panels when they distort after welding.
    To weld those panels , making a 3/4 inch folded angle strip to place along the joins would give you a greater surface to weld to ..or even spot weld.
    Just some ideas incase you were having a dry spell, keep up the good work.

That was a really good idea to use a T shape dolly, I just saw in your thread Joel. Next time I will have to do that. I'm okay with this as of now. The whole interior will be sprayed with sound deadening and then have sound deadening (dynamat) applied over top. This should help with radiusing the carpet over the hump later on and add some rigidity.

String a bead roller is on my list soon! I definitely have to have it for creating flanges on the body parts.

I have some progress on getting the car steering again and I finally started on the rear axle upgrade as well.
    The steering column and wheel are from a saturn vue with power assist (obviously). It was really straight forward to fit up. I forgot to document how I did the mounting brackets but it was very simple.

I was able to use the factory firewall grommit as luck would have it it
    Last edited by 275NART; 01-10-2018 at 06:26 PM.

The shaft already had a splined to 3/4"dd joint where it attached to the steering rack on the saturn. It was also the perfect length and that made it easy to connect to the stainless steering shaft material I purchased. I am going to anchor the section of steering shaft that runs parallel to the inside of the frame rail using a 3/4" heim joint. I will weld a threaded bung in the frame and the heim will thread in to that. It will also allow the steering shaft to be pushed off the frame rail a little bit as well. You can see there is some interference with the joint and the frame rail close to where it comes through the firewall.