Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: volvo p1800 into ferrari 275gtb spyder: v12, 5spd, tube chassis

Next I have started on the rear axle. As I may have mentioned earlier it is out of a late 90s ford explorer. Disk brake 3.73 gears, 31 spline axles. It was originally 59.5" but by cutting down the driver's side axle tube and using another passenger axle I could make it 56.5" to match the front axle width.

no turning back now...

Using a little angle iron on either side allowed me to keep everything true while I tacked it up. I used a straight edge on the axle tube all the way around the circumference to double check as well.

Now I can move on to fitting it up in the car with adjustable link bars and brackets.

Throwing this in here because I thought it was a neat photo.

Quote Originally Posted by 275NART View Post
    Next I have started on the rear axle. As I may have mentioned earlier it is out of a late 90s ford explorer. Disk brake 3.73 gears, 31 spline axles. It was originally 59.5" but by cutting down the driver's side axle tube and using another passenger axle I could make it 56.5" to match the front axle width.

no turning back now...

Using a little angle iron on either side allowed me to keep everything true while I tacked it up. I used a straight edge on the axle tube all the way around the circumference to double check as well.

Now I can move on to fitting it up in the car with adjustable link bars and brackets.
    I like how you weld. Do you use a MIG welder? I want to learn how to weld like that. The past I weld it all come out chicken pox.

Quote Originally Posted by Satant RaM View Post
    I like how you weld. Do you use a MIG welder? I want to learn how to weld like that. The past I weld it all come out chicken pox.
    Thank you for the compliment! This is a TIG weld on the axle but I also mig weld. I am still a beginner but I learned quickly by spending a few days with a friend of mine who does it for a living. If you can take classes at community college or a weekend workshop I recommend doing that. There is a big learning curve for the technique and gaining coordination but the most important things for TIG welding are cleanliness, visibility, a proper fixture to hold parts, and being comfortable. The weld settings and torch setup can be figured out pretty easily. Generally I use an oversize #14 cup and gas lens when welding steel so I can have the electrode stick out 1" or more. With aluminum a #6 or #8 cup and gas lens. It "wastes" some gas but is worth it to get nice welds.

I took the car to a friend's shop who does roll cages and traded him some welding work for this. We bent and tacked some 1 5/8" down bars to connect the A pillars to the frame rails. It's surprising how much this changes the look of the car at it's current state. Even though these bars will not likely be seen once the body is on I'm pleased with the design, clearance, and finished look. It also gives me something to build the radiator and bumper support from- I'm thinking I may make that removable so the engine is easier to remove and install later. I will be finishing the welds on the down bars soon and will seal up and epoxy prime the front end, firewall and floors. There's a little surface rust starting to develop, especially after transporting the car in this humidity, and I want to nip that in the bud before it gets out of control.