Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: volvo p1800 into ferrari 275gtb spyder: v12, 5spd, tube chassis

Next I have started on the rear axle. As I may have mentioned earlier it is out of a late 90s ford explorer. Disk brake 3.73 gears, 31 spline axles. It was originally 59.5" but by cutting down the driver's side axle tube and using another passenger axle I could make it 56.5" to match the front axle width.

no turning back now...

Using a little angle iron on either side allowed me to keep everything true while I tacked it up. I used a straight edge on the axle tube all the way around the circumference to double check as well.

Now I can move on to fitting it up in the car with adjustable link bars and brackets.

Throwing this in here because I thought it was a neat photo.

Quote Originally Posted by 275NART View Post
    Next I have started on the rear axle. As I may have mentioned earlier it is out of a late 90s ford explorer. Disk brake 3.73 gears, 31 spline axles. It was originally 59.5" but by cutting down the driver's side axle tube and using another passenger axle I could make it 56.5" to match the front axle width.

no turning back now...

Using a little angle iron on either side allowed me to keep everything true while I tacked it up. I used a straight edge on the axle tube all the way around the circumference to double check as well.

Now I can move on to fitting it up in the car with adjustable link bars and brackets.
    I like how you weld. Do you use a MIG welder? I want to learn how to weld like that. The past I weld it all come out chicken pox.

Quote Originally Posted by Satant RaM View Post
    I like how you weld. Do you use a MIG welder? I want to learn how to weld like that. The past I weld it all come out chicken pox.
    Thank you for the compliment! This is a TIG weld on the axle but I also mig weld. I am still a beginner but I learned quickly by spending a few days with a friend of mine who does it for a living. If you can take classes at community college or a weekend workshop I recommend doing that. There is a big learning curve for the technique and gaining coordination but the most important things for TIG welding are cleanliness, visibility, a proper fixture to hold parts, and being comfortable. The weld settings and torch setup can be figured out pretty easily. Generally I use an oversize #14 cup and gas lens when welding steel so I can have the electrode stick out 1" or more. With aluminum a #6 or #8 cup and gas lens. It "wastes" some gas but is worth it to get nice welds.