View Poll Results: Would you purchase a P1 if it was available?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, counting on cost and what's included

7 87.50%
  • No, rather have someone else

1 12.50%
  • Unsure....

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you... P1 Replica Kit ?

Question Would you... P1 Replica Kit ?

Guess figure I would put a poll out and see if anyone would actually purchase a full P1 kit if it was available affordable(roughly $8,000-12,000) that would bolt on a MR2 or Porsche? Surprised no one actually has offered a kit.

cant edit poll... i mean something else not someone else. 😂
    Last edited by Rippin6Gears; 06-15-2017 at 04:12 PM.

throw me 15k and ill make you the molds and a set of parts. wont be bolt on ofcourse.
    Last edited by ncrazyballa; 06-15-2017 at 07:45 PM.

A bolt on $8000 kit that looked accurate would sell very well

Until mclaren sued you !!

So why hasn't Ferrari sued DNA or Xcico who been around forever selling kits? 😂 Good one! I have a DNA kit and with the ease of bolt on installation and quality of kits I really wish they went out instead of just doing the prancing horse.

They are not based in the USA and rules differ by country . The U.K. Seems fairly tolerant of replica makers.

However there was another kit builder in Spain that was raided there are videos on YouTube

Parallel Design, based in England, recently announced a retooling and reintroduction of their Countach. Immediately following that, Lambo reapplied for their European Copyrights, which had expired in 1993 or so. Do you think the U.K. will remain tolerant?

Hard to say , I know little about the uk

mclaren is a small company they would hire assans to hunt down the replica guys. whos to say there havnt been replicas of the p1 before?

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    They are not based in the USA and rules differ by country . The U.K. Seems fairly tolerant of replica makers.

However there was another kit builder in Spain that was raided there are videos on YouTube
    You actually might be better off in the US. Car body designs fall under "ornamental" design patents and last 15 years. Some people think they fall under copyright, but copyright applies to works of art(stories, film, books, movies, video games, etc), not items with utility value like cars, furniture, or coffee pots. Very few exotic car companies go through this process in the US.

Back when Lamborghini started their "destroy all kit car manufacturers" conquest, it was over Murcielago and Gallardo kits, and they had a design patent for each.

They wrongfully went after Diablo and Countach makers as well, but had no legal grounds to stand on because they had no design patents on the Diablo or the Countach. Unfortunately a lot of the kit car makers didn't fight back and just closed up shop. Getting a cease and desist from a big company can be quite intimidating.

I did a search and couldn't find any design patents for the P1 in the United States(I'm no attorney though, so I'd have an actual IP attorney do a search). Patents in the UK do not apply here. They would need to apply for a patent with the USPTO, which they would probably do if they felt you were stepping on their toes. You might have some legal ground to stand if you released it before they filed for the patent. But, nobody wants to get in a federal legal battle here because it can cost a lot(most federal patent cases cost 1m+ in attorney fees).
    Last edited by iceman-; 07-27-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Not so much into the look of a P1 but I have wanted something like a Mercedes Sauber C9 that was scaled down to a 96-98 inch wheel base.