Thread: Pontiac Fiero Mera

Pontiac Fiero Mera

Recently while out riding around with my kids, my son spotted a rather interesting car parked out beside an old run down looking body shop. Since this is something you don't see everyday in small town Mississippi, we went back for a closer look and discovered what I believe to be a Pontiac Fiero Mera edition. Whether it is actually a Mera or not, it is without a doubt a replica of a Ferrari 328. It had authentic looking Ferrari badges and emblems in all the correct places.

Despite needing a lot of TLC, I was quite impressed with the body on this car. The wheels appeared to be the same as I have seen on Meras I have seen in photographs, but the tires were completely too big and the rear tires literally rubbed all sides of the fender wells. The paint was in poor condition with the clear coat literally flaking off everywhere. The only real damage I saw to the car was that the small grill that resides in the chin spoiler was broken and knocked out of place and the mirrors were missing. The body was clearly made of fiberglass as there were a couple of places where the paint was chipped down to the fiberglass itself.

Looking at the body close, I was impressed with the fit of the body panels. Everything was aligned impressively well and even the lower rear valance looked like that of an authentic Ferrari 328. And, speaking of the fender wells, they were even molded in and lined just like the real thing. Usually, on most kit cars I've seen, the fender wells are a dead give away. Seems like a lot of people don't finish those out very well.

Overall, if this car had proper wheels and a good paint job, I don't think most people would be able to tell this from a real Ferrari. This is the first 328 replica I've ever seen in person (I have seen a few real 328s in person) and I must say pictures don't do them justice. I've always wanted a Countach replica, but after seeing this car, I don't think I would mind at all to "settle" for a good Ferrari replica. Seems like it would be much more simple to build, finish and drive. I could really see a lot of potential for this car.

If you are familiar with the Pontiac Mera, how exact was it to replicating the Ferrari 328? Was it a dead on match, or were details like the windshield rake slightly different?

It shares similarities with the 328, but I believe it's meant to be a tribute to the late 70's 308.

There's a guy on the Pennock's Fiero forums named rogergarrison that would be able to help you out. He has owned one for decades and seems to know just about everything about them.

From what I know, it's not really a dead on match and more of a tribute. The interior is normally standard Fiero. I believe they just lifted the plastic body panels and replaced them with replica fiberglass panels.

It's a neat car.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman- View Post
    It shares similarities with the 328, but I believe it's meant to be a tribute to the late 70's 308.

There's a guy on the Pennock's Fiero forums named rogergarrison that would be able to help you out. He has owned one for decades and seems to know just about everything about them.

From what I know, it's not really a dead on match and more of a tribute. The interior is normally standard Fiero. I believe they just lifted the plastic body panels and replaced them with replica fiberglass panels.

It's a neat car.
    I believe you are correct there. Thank you. I went back and looked at Mera images and they all have 308 style front bumpers. This local car is definitely a 328 replica. It's missing the little spoiler on the roof, but otherwise looks fairly complete. I am fairly impressed with how authentic it looks. Most replicas I have seen you can pick out a mile away, but the more you look at this car (aside from the wheels and tires, damage, etc) the more impressive it actually looks.

I have a picture, but no account to host it here. Every time I have set up an account in the past to do that, they always change.

The car looks extremely similar to this one here, advertised on Madmechanics: http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/ma...lica-sale.html

The wheels are slightly different, there are no Ferrari shields on the front wing, and whatever the little black rectangular thing is just behind the front wheel well and below the Ferrari shield is missing as well.

I guess I should have titled this thread "Mystery Pontiac Fiero Based 328 Replica".

Here's a link to the photograph I took of the mystery car:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Last edited by mlochala; 07-27-2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added picture link.

mlochala;

These cars are a pretty nice starter replica for folks. The frame is standard and most parts are still available and the panels use most of the original Fiero mounting locations. The replica industry started when, I believe, someone took a Mera and splashed it and started making fiberglass panels. There are many 308 replicas out there and can be found in varying states of condition. I got one is 2010 and started rebuilding it as a quick project and quickly turned it into a complete rebuild and completely updated......

The Mera was a project started by some Pontiac dealers while the Fiero was still in Production. There were a couple hundred made I think but probably wrong on the number. Rodney Dickman has a Mera registry and can give more details. Mera's are becoming more valuable as time goes on. The big differences between the Mera and a real Ferrari are:
    1. Fiero a couple inches taller at roof line
    2. Sail panel are not separate so engine lid is only the lid itself and not the back half of the sail panels
    3. Windshield and rear glass a Fiero
    4. front bumper is straight where the oem is curved under the turn signals
    5. Front hood goes out to the fenders vs oem that has a small inner trunk with solid fender top.
    6. lights

You are correct that most folks won't really tell the difference unless they are side by side but the Fiero chassis is way cheaper to maintain than the oem Ferrari.

If you can get this car cheap, it might be a good start for you into the replica madness. There are several items that can be bought that are replicas of oem like tail lights and I made a set of replica headlight buckets and Rodney has a few parts like oem front bumper etc. to help finish off the look.

Only way to post pics here now is to go to a photo hosting site and put your pics up there and link to here. No photos get posted here any more.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Your picture is of a replica that was created off a 308 replica. It is definitely of the 328 where the front and rear valances are integral to the bumper. Everything else is direct replacement for a Mera or 308 replica body so parts can be found if you need any.

Cheers
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by mlochala View Post
    I guess I should have titled this thread "Mystery Pontiac Fiero Based 328 Replica".

Here's a link to the photograph I took of the mystery car:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Quote Originally Posted by mlochala View Post
    I have a picture, but no account to host it here. Every time I have set up an account in the past to do that, they always change.

The car looks extremely similar to this one here, advertised on Madmechanics: http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/ma...lica-sale.html

The wheels are slightly different, there are no Ferrari shields on the front wing, and whatever the little black rectangular thing is just behind the front wheel well and below the Ferrari shield is missing as well.

That was my car and is a 328 Replica unlike the Mera that is 308 inspired.
    Last edited by dominic355; 07-27-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Go try to buy it. I'd give $3000-4000 for it if there's not much rust.

The owner sold it this week. He advertised it for $3,500 and it didn't last long. Mechanically, he said it needed a fuel pump and tires.

Too bad I'm not in a position to do anything like this right now, not even at this price.